Testing a Hanna Phosphorus ULR Checker - Am I Missing Something?

In general, this is going to be the rocks and sand, even if you only have a small amount of rock. Calcium carbonate has a very high capacity for binding phosphate relative to the concentrations we usually encounter in reef aquaria.

My tank is 6 yrs old. Very basic setup and have never used phosphate removal media.
One would think that my rocks should be loaded up by now!
 
The numbers for hydrous Na3PO4, however, are a different story. These are much, much closer.

Na3PO4.H2O % PO4 = 30.97 / 137.99 = 22.44%
7.12g Na3PO4.H2O * 22.44% PO4 = 1.598g PO4
1.598g PO4 / 3.785 gallons = 0.42219 g/L = 422.19 mg/L = 422 ppm PO4

Na3PO4.H2O

TestExpected Concentration (PO4)Expected Reading (PPB)Actual Reading (PPB)
1​
0.000​
0​
0​
2​
0.019​
6​
2​
3​
0.038​
12​
0​
4​
0.095​
31​
25​
5​
0.189​
62​
49​

I will have to see what the vendor says. The supplement was sold by Loudwolf and was explicitly labeled as CAS 7601-54-9, which is anhydrous. I suppose it's possible it could be one of Na3PO4's various hydrates, although I'd be disappointed if it was and it wasn't labeled as such.
That’s where I got mine:-) I got suspicious when things did not work out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new