Testing Alk and using baking soda to increase

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nano_Man
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
:) The good news is you dont need to dose baking soda anytime soon lol.
Joke aside I am sure you are quite aware but 15+ kH could be dangerous if here are any corals
Yep thanks my mistake I will get ro set up Monday and do a water change soon as I can thank you biom grate guys And my wife can keep the baking soda lol
 
Update bought a ro ran 23 litres through it mixed instant ocean into it waited till fully mixed and tested. Ph 8.1
Ammonia 0
Phosphate 0
Nitrate 0
Cal480
Mag 1475
Alk 0.03=15.3 through the roof
Salinity 1.025
I thought the ro would of stripped the high Alk but who knows . If you think you have a idea to lower Alk I would appreciate it thanks need to get this under control never had this problem before but just moved house don’t know what the drinking water is like out of the tap .
 
Last edited:
Update bought a ro ran 23 litres through it mixed instant ocean into it waited till fully mixed and tested. Ph 8.1
Ammonia 0
Phosphate 0
Nitrate 0
Cal480
Mag 1475
Alk 0.03=15.3 through the roof
Salinity 1.025
I thought the ro would of stripped the high Alk but who knows . If you think you have a idea to lower Alk I would appreciate it thanks need to get this under control never had this problem before but just moved house don’t know what the drinking water is like out of the tap .
Repeat
 
Was the ro/di water 0 ppm tds?
Hi Randy never had this ever before. But I have moved house and have not tested tap water . Bought ro will attach photo. I mixed salt with tap water and tested phosphate 1 and alkalinity 15.3 salt instant ocean. Then put water through ro and added salt when mixed tested every thing came through 0 apart for Alkalinity 15.3 thought the ro would have sorted it. Then tested tank water phosphate 1 and alkalinity 15.3 high very high ph in the tank water says 8.15 . So the ro is not taking everything out Alkalinity. Thinking of the other thing I can do is ro water then put acid buffer and run for 24 hrs then mix the salt in it never done this before . Thanks for your advice Randy
601BBB6E-ED1F-4DED-842F-88F34A1B5418.jpeg
 
No Randy have no tester can you get a cartridge for lowering alkalinity in tap water I don’t know
 
No Randy have no tester can you get a cartridge for lowering alkalinity in tap water I don’t know

A DI resin that is properly functioning will remove all ions and all contributors to alkalinity.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new