OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vacuum might have started it. Did you happen to test before the vacuum? There may be a correlation between the 2.

I love showing this. I just recently change out my gravel for sand after 10 years. This is what the water coming out while doing it looked like

179227CA-F58A-42BA-840B-A2879DB69B09.jpeg
Here’s what I got out today. I siphoned two 5-gallon buckets worth of sand. Each bucket covered maybe 1 square foot of sand, probably less. A lot of nastiness here.
A543CA18-D1B0-4CF7-AF17-2921CDFDA0AA.jpeg

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The results of doubling the the amount of tank water will not provide a valid result, aka, you are wasting your time. You need to dilute the tank water with either fresh salt water if it tests very low for nitrate or RODI if you can accept a slightly inaccurate result (the test was calibrated for salt water and will be somewhat off as salinity is decreased), but you must use only the volume of the diluted sample dictated by the kit instructions.

Ok...for example my Nyos test kit for NO3 is really impossible to read after 7 or 12 when the result is higher.

So can I add 2.5 RO to 2.5 tank water since it calls for 5 ml sample water on the test. Then take the result and multiply by 2. ??

Or does anybody know an accurate “easy to read” nitrate test kit?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I got out today. I siphoned two 5-gallon buckets worth of sand. Each bucket covered maybe 1 square foot of sand, probably less. A lot of nastiness here.
A543CA18-D1B0-4CF7-AF17-2921CDFDA0AA.jpeg

Well done sir! That would kill an elephant. :p:D

OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy an extra test kit, mabe Its expired Or gone wrong. Just to be sure
I may do that, but I had an ICP test a little while back that confirmed I have high nutrients. Regardless, I will need a new test kit soon anyway because I’m almost out.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...for example my Nyos test kit for NO3 is really impossible to read after 7 or 12 when the result is higher.

So can I add 2.5 RO to 2.5 tank water since it calls for 5 ml sample water on the test. Then take the result and multiply by 2. ??

Or does anybody know an accurate “easy to read” nitrate test kit?

Your dilution approach is correct.

rgthree4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I was always under the assumption not to disturb or vacume sand bed as all the N03 fighting eating bacteria will be gone and make matters worse?
Is this correct

rgthree4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I was always under the assumption not to disturb or vacume sand bed as all the N03 fighting eating bacteria will be gone and make matters worse?
Is this correct

OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this correct
I believe that is somewhat correct. I didn't vacuum my sand for years, and the detrius buildup got pretty bad and I think the sand was contributing to high nitrates. Then I made the mistake of vacuuming too much at once, and made matters worse. I think the right solution is to get some sand sifting critters to keep the detrius to a minimum. And then periodically vacuum small areas of the sand, working your way around the tank over time. But if you search this site, you will find many opinions on this.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back