Testing for an LPS and Anemone Tank

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My IM Nuvo 30 has finished cycling and I’m getting ready to start adding some corals. I’m mostly wanting to have LPS like Euphyllia, an anemone and some other easier to care for corals. Below, I’ve made a list based on ReefBuilders nano tank setup video series that I’d probably use some of to stock this tank.

What testing parameters would I need to monitor to keep this type of corals. Right now I’ve been monitoring Temp, pH, Salinity, Alk, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates. I just got my Hanna pH and ALK testers.

Do I need to test for Calcium, Magnesium and Phosphate as well?

Green Star Polyps
Torch Coral
Hammer Coral
Tiger striped Candy Coral
Prism Favia
Trachyphyllia
Acan Pachysepta
Acan Echynata
Green Polyp Leather
Long Polyp Leather
Sinularia Finger Leather
Duncanopsammia

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to test for Calcium, Magnesium and Phosphate as well?
Yes, it would be a good idea to see where you are at. And occasionally to see what and how much the corals are using

OP
OP
Saluki2003

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing 10% weekly or 20% bi-weekly water changes. These were my water parameters are before yesterday’s WC....it was a little more than 2 weeks since the last WC (we just had a baby that decided to show up 5 weeks early).
Temp: 78.0
Salinity: 35 ppt
pH: 7.9
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
Alkalinity: 127 ppm

I’ll test again tomorrow to see what kingdom of level changes I get with my WCs. Currently using Red Sea Salt (blue bucket).

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to keep my alk around 140ppm to 145ppm = about 8dkh
Since you missed a water change this could be why it has dropped.
The blue bucket mixes at about 8 and your tank is using some alk since it is new. The nitrogen cycle will use alk.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that magnesium testing is needed.

Alk and calcium for hard corals and corraline.

Nitrate and phosphate to be sure nutrients are not too low or high.

Salinity, temp.

That might be all.

OP
OP
Saluki2003

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: tested water today after yesterday’s WC:
pH: 8.1
Alk: 130ppm
Nitrates: 5 (I think I need a different Nitrate tester...my ability at determining a color match is kinda suspect)

Would you guys recommend another WC to hopefully bump that ALK more and get more Nitrates out?

I really like the 2 Hanna test kits due to them being digital...which Nitrate test would you guys recommend?

OP
OP
Saluki2003

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning to get the Red Sea Coral Pro salt once I run out of the blue bucket. In addition to regular water changes to keep parameters stable do I need to supplement anything else for the corals I’ve listed above?

I was looking at the Red Sea site and saw the following recommendations:
Foundation B (Kh/Alk)
Iodine+
NO3/PO4-X
Reef Energy Plus

Are these just marketing to make $ or would they actually be useful/needed in a rank my size? Or would regular WCs take care of all the supplementation necessary?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning to get the Red Sea Coral Pro salt once I run out of the blue bucket. In addition to regular water changes to keep parameters stable do I need to supplement anything else for the corals I’ve listed above?

I was looking at the Red Sea site and saw the following recommendations:
Foundation B (Kh/Alk)
Iodine+
NO3/PO4-X
Reef Energy Plus

Are these just marketing to make $ or would they actually be useful/needed in a rank my size? Or would regular WCs take care of all the supplementation necessary?

Red sea assumes you follow their whole recipe. I would not follow their guidelines for what products of theirs to use, but rather decide if you want them and then following their dosing instructions. Reef energy (coral food) is fine to dose as well as their alk or calcium if u wanted to use their brand. Nopox and iodine+ are not things I would dose at this moment (or in general unless you have some specific reason to dose them).

Back