Testing LED PAR / Lux / Kelvin

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Seneye reef monitor that has the ability to test PAR, Lux and Kelvin. I plan on using it to test my 2 AI Sol Blue fixtures I have over my tank. Is there anything I need to take into consideration when testing LED's?

ModAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, white LED's test about 10-15% low on PAR. Royal Blues you would have to add about 50% (in my opinion) because PAR is an average of all light between 400 and 700nm. Royal blue is primarily around 460nm.

ModAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 white to 3 Royal Blue usually is about 20K. So on the AI controller you would run the whites at 30% and RB at 100% (in theory since I don't have AI).

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 white to 3 Royal Blue usually is about 20K. So on the AI controller you would run the whites at 30% and RB at 100% (in theory since I don't have AI).

Interesting! I'm going to try this out right now and I'll post the results with the meter. I'll test with just the white / royal blue and with the white / blue / royal blue.

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, here are some readings I just took with the Seneye.

Both were taken 20" directly under the AI Sol Blue under 1" water.

This reading was taken with 100% royal blue, 100% blue and 33% white.
100rb100b33w.jpg

This reading was taken with 100% royal blue, 0% blue, 33% white.
100rb33w.jpg

What do you think?

Last edited:

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty cool. I assume that the curves are the response curves for PAR, Lux and ???, and not for your lights. It didn't look like it changed between the two readings. How does the PAR compare to your other meter? Also, it looks like they are off a decimal place on the Kelvin readings; i.e., they are showing 2,000 Kelvin when it should be 20,000 Kelvin.

CJ

spanko

Henry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the answer I got from AI Support.

Just an FYI. I asked this question of the support team at AI.

Henry, Nov-25 07:59 (CST):

I have a SOL super blue module. Can you tell me what settings I would use to achieve a 20k metal halide color? What would be the spread in percentage between the three. I am assuming the intensity would just help to emulate a 150 or 200 watt etc. metal halide but I need to know how much white blue and royal blue would get to the 20k color.

## Please do not write below this line ##
Ticket #3258: Settings to achieve a 20k color

Your request (#3258) has been deemed solved.

Justin Walsh, Nov-28 10:16 (CST):

Hello Henry,

At 100 % intensity, the Sol Blue is the equivalent to a 270W MH and a spectrum of 20K. I believe that if you were to do equal settings on your intensities you will be seeing that 20K appeal. For example: 30 30 30/ 50 50 50 etc.

Regards,

Justin
AI

Last edited:

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, here are some readings I just took with the Seneye.

Both were taken 20" directly under the AI Sol Blue under 1" water.

This reading was taken with 100% royal blue, 100% blue and 33% white.
100rb100b33w.jpg

This reading was taken with 100% royal blue, 0% blue, 33% white.
100rb33w.jpg

What do you think?

Thats really cool. I ordered my Seneye on Friday. I am very intrigued. Can you test at 100% on all colors? We can compare the numbers to others who tested with other par meters.

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Henry. I look at my 3 AI sold blues and if I have them at 50-50-50 they look more like 12k. Anyone?

ghostman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my eye, achieving a 20K look requires more royal blue, or less white than equal across the board. 80-90-100 looks more 20K to me. JMO

spanko

Henry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish someone had a 20 MH light they could put next to the AI and see what their eyes tell them or better yet someone that could actually test for kelvin.

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty cool. I assume that the curves are the response curves for PAR, Lux and ???, and not for your lights. It didn't look like it changed between the two readings. How does the PAR compare to your other meter? Also, it looks like they are off a decimal place on the Kelvin readings; i.e., they are showing 2,000 Kelvin when it should be 20,000 Kelvin.CJ
I don't have another meter to compare it to. I'm not exactly sure what the curves are for to be honest with you. Here's the link to their info on lighting: Importance of Light

Thats really cool. I ordered my Seneye on Friday. I am very intrigued. Can you test at 100% on all colors? We can compare the numbers to others who tested with other par meters.
You bet, I'll try to get some readings tonight.

Fieroguy19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is a pretty cool device. Always thought it would be cool to be able to have something that would measure kelvin and have spectrographs.

I would also love to see some comparisons with an apogee PAR meter under different lighting combos.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is a pretty cool device. Always thought it would be cool to be able to have something that would measure kelvin and have spectrographs.

It really is pretty cool. It seems like the release may have been a little premature since they're lacking in the documentation department and there are a few little bugs but their support team has been awesome and I've been assured they're looking into the issues that have been reported so I'm sure it'll only get better!

I wish someone had a 20 MH light they could put next to the AI and see what their eyes tell them or better yet someone that could actually test for kelvin.

Well, if anyone near Los Angeles sees this and wants to do some testing over my tank I'd be game!

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back