TESTING MEDIA EXP DATES - good science -or- just a date to force you to buy new product?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TESTING MEDIA EXP DATES - good science -or- just a date to force you to buy new product?

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my questions are valid bruh. Why the discernment?
I was just making a joke (kinda making fun of myself actually) saying "you're just trying to get people to respond" which I have to respond to say, get it?

Anyway, yes your question is valid. The very generic answer is that test kits have a shelf life which depends greatly on a number of factors like temperature and what kind of reagent it is.

But even if you follow the instructions exactly and keep your test kit in a cool dry place out of sunlight, it could still have sat in a hot warehouse for a month before you bought it reducing its life. There are a lot of factors that could contribute to shortening the life of a test kit, and I think these companies have a lot of reasons they set the expiration when they do. Maybe they are setting it just to make you buy more. They could also be setting it where it is because of all the other factors that aren't taken into account with your question, and they could also be setting it there to ensure the best chance that you get the most accurate reading possible so you don't kill your livestock.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back