Testing Ocean Water in Morocco

lterna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post isn't about reef tank water but rather ocean water. My girlfriend's father lives on the beach outside of Rabat in Morocco. He would like to test the quality of the ocean water at his house. Problem is, he has never done this before so he doesn't know which parameters may be the most concerning. I think he would like to monitor to see if/when the water is unsafe for swimming. We have talked in the past about testing for the presence of E. coli and enterococci, along with some metals, arsenic, and nitrate.

I wanted to know if 1. you guys had any advice/input on parameters he should test for; 2. if you know of any all-in-one test for the cleanliness of ocean water that aren't ridiculously expensive; and 3. if you know any tech or equipment that would allow him to do this (he loves playing around with technology and gadgets).

Also, I'm not sure if taking a sample and mailing it to a lab is an option for him. Thanks.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in the South, our beaches sometimes get closed by cyanobacteria blooms. Those would be easily detectable by handheld fluorometers for water, but bacterial?

Yeah, looking at something like this.
https://www.colifast.no/products/colifast-field-kit/
Definitely not hobby grade.

U

User1

View Badges
No idea who they do it in that part of the world but when I go scuba diving in Monterey, California we look at the weather and bacterial reports. As @Randy Holmes-Farley said bacterial levels is deal breaker. Weather is also important but if the bacteria levels are high we have to either abort the dives or find a different location. Mammals and what not can really mess up a diving day :)

In any case we can check NOAA, harbor master, and a few local sites to get the information. I'd wager there has to be something similar out their way.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

• Other.

Back