Testing Organic vs inorganic elements

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do hanna checkers test a total combined of organic and inorganic elements? Is there even a way to test them separately? PO4 and NO3 specifically....

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understood the question properly, You may want to reed on N-Doc from Triton

OP
OP
islander84

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly what I was asking but that helps. My question was more geared towards, is there a difference in testing organic vs inorganic. Some people claim corals consume/uptake organic elements but not dissolved inorganic? So what exactly are the hanna checkers testing in the water?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the only way with a kit to detect organophosphate is to use a long tedious process that digests the organics to inorganic phosphate, then detects it . Hach has a kit for that.

There is no kit for organic nitrogen.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly what I was asking but that helps. My question was more geared towards, is there a difference in testing organic vs inorganic. Some people claim corals consume/uptake organic elements but not dissolved inorganic? So what exactly are the hanna checkers testing in the water?

Folks claiming that are wrong. Corals can most definitely take up ammonia, nitrate, and inorganic phosphate, as well as some, but most definitely not all organics.

OP
OP
islander84

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks claiming that are wrong. Corals can most definitely take up ammonia, nitrate, and inorganic phosphate, as well as some, but most definitely not all organics.

Is Nitrate from dosing KNO3 the same as the Nitrates from Ammonia conversion via a large dead shrimp?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Nitrate from dosing KNO3 the same as the Nitrates from Ammonia conversion via a large dead shrimp?
The nitrate is the same but the effect on the aquarium is different. Adding nitrate just boosts nitrate to the exact level you want immediately. Rotting shrimp is generates a complex mess in the aquarium over time, part of which is ammonia that is oxidized by bacteria to nitrite and nitrate. The level of nitrate achieved is generally not predictable.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

exactly the same chemical. Dan notes other differences. Also, some organisms take up ammonia itself before it becomes nitrate from foids or shrimp.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back