tgfitz1's 120 Gallon Rimless

tgfitz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! This is my third tank but by far the largest and most exciting, I didn't start a build thread for my outgoing 40 breeder but always loved the idea of documenting progress! I am really looking forward to setting this tank up and hopefully making it into a beautiful reef!

I was never actually planning on upgrading, I was just going to restart my current tank and do things differently, but I got a great deal on a second hand 120 gallon tank, sump and cabinet as well as a few other bits, and I couldn't turn it down!

The tank in question is rimless with dimensions 50"x24"x24", the sump dimensions are 36"x20"x20"

Equipment list:

Lighting:
2x AI Hydra 52 HD LEDs (only have one unit at the moment)

Flow:
Vortech MP10 with Quiet Drive
Jebao WP40 (will upgrade to an MP40)

Skimmer:
Bubble Magus Curve 7

Return:
Eheim 1260 centrifugal return pump

Other:
UV Steriliser
Reef Octopus External Overflow
2x Fluval 300w Digital Heater

I still need to get an ATO and an RO/DI unit so any suggestions are welcome!

I'll be using 45lb of Red Sea Reef Base Fiji Pink Aragonite Live Sand and 60lb of Caribsea Life Rock.

The tank is going to be a mixed reef with a couple of softies thrown in, I definitely want to try my hand at keeping an anemone with this tank too, I've always been too worried about them going for a walk and destroying the tank in the process. How much should I be worrying?

I am probably forgetting a few details, but I've got the basics down. Feedback is appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

IMG_0204.JPG

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a plan. What are you doing for a stand? Im working on a 40 breeder at the moment and am doin my first build thread i was in the same boat like the idea of documenting everything. I jad a nem in my first tank and it was a little nerve racking at first until they attach somewhere then its usually fine. Good luck with the build!

OP
OP
tgfitz1

tgfitz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a plan. What are you doing for a stand? Im working on a 40 breeder at the moment and am doin my first build thread i was in the same boat like the idea of documenting everything. I jad a nem in my first tank and it was a little nerve racking at first until they attach somewhere then its usually fine. Good luck with the build!
The stand is including in the deal I got, it's two tone black and white with push close doors and a slight ledge protruding from the surround of where the aquarium will be sat, I'm hoping that it'll be wide enough for a cold beer. :D Good size tank, really enjoyed mine. Have you got a link to your build thread? Thanks for the reassuring advice! I'm going to be putting mesh guards around my powerheads so with any luck the nem won't get caught in them. Thanks, you too!! ;)

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have come to a halt on my build money got tight so tank build has been pushed off for a bit but i like how its comin so far

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have come to a halt on my build money got tight so tank build has been pushed off for a bit but i like how its comin so far

Take your time even if you have to!

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I love your stand, the setup is looking sweet!
Thanks i tried to keep it simple because im far from good at working with wood. Wish i could have went bigger like your 120 thats a nice size imo not to big but big enough to keep what you want in it. Looking forward to how it comes out.

OP
OP
tgfitz1

tgfitz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is here! Giving it a clean down as we speak and man am I excited to get this up and running [emoji41]

OP
OP
tgfitz1

tgfitz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to get some new fittings to plumb the reef octopus overflow as the ones that have come with it don't really fit like they should, will also grab the rest of the plumbing tomorrow! Hopefully she'll be up and running by Sunday!

IMG_0210.JPG
IMG_0211.JPG
IMG_0213.JPG

OP
OP
tgfitz1

tgfitz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is up and running and the skimmer is breaking in nicely, I'll hopefully be able to get my existing fish transferred this week, I've sold off my corals as I'm going for a different approach for this tank.

The plumbing is relatively simple and I haven't any leaks so so far so good!

A few pics:

60lb Caribsea Life Rock, highly recommend this stuff
IMG_0219.JPG

My little helper!
IMG_0220.JPG

Poor pic of the aquascape. Slightly distorted where there is a bit of water at the base. Will get some better pics once the water is clear!
IMG_0223.JPG

OP
OP
tgfitz1

tgfitz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good...have a pic of your sump? What kind of lights will you be running?
Thanks man, I'll get one a bit later, it's a bit of a mess at the moment as I'm still toying with where things are gonna live down there

OP
OP
tgfitz1

tgfitz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! I've been taking my time transferring over my existing fish, I added 3 bottles of Bio Spira, Stability by Seachem and I'm using some live rock rubble from my old tank. I've only added my White Spotted Wrasse so far and he's been in since Monday morning and he's doing great. My Firefish and Black Ice Clowns are going in tonight (if I can catch them) !!

I'm also thinking about adding some more rock to the aquascape, I was always going to add some branching rock but I think I may add another section to the empty bit in the middle, I'm not really feeling it. What do you think ?? (Excuse the diatom bloom)
c54c5ba137fb7c7154a91e328e28537f.jpg

1f85134a9bed4477aa98894a9a752fbd.jpg
(Left Side)
1f69e521d263d8af4b95df7f7dbc58e9.jpg
(Right Side)

I also put my Electric Green Palys in just to test the waters
1c4d4c4df98ec18afca1ef43303ed120.jpg

Had a few issues with the plumbing which is why this transfer has taken so long but we're getting there. I've reserved 3x Orange Line Chromis at my LFS and I'll be picking them up this weekend! [emoji3]

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you find a rather large piece of rock you could lay it across and make a "bridge" look would look kind of cool imo. Either way adding more rock will give you more space to lay some corals out so go for it!

OP
OP
tgfitz1

tgfitz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you find a rather large piece of rock you could lay it across and make a "bridge" look would look kind of cool imo. Either way adding more rock will give you more space to lay some corals out so go for it!
Yeah I have thought about that, I have rock my old tank that I'm tempted to use but it looks pretty different to the rock I have now and stuff like that gets on my nerves lol

That's true and having more corals never did anyone any harm right?? ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back