That's how we get it done

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The crew is out in force today doing some serious cleaning. Keep going boys, special snack coming later for all your hard work.

Attachments

• 20231215_132117.mp4
    62.4 MB
OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, will try to score some this weekend. I only have urchins and snails -- there are some areas in the rockwork that they can't get thru...
I just noticed you were OC. I am in the IE here in So Cal too. saltwateraquarium.com has the best inverts like scarlets and their shipping is excellent. Very large specimens.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed you were OC. I am in the IE here in So Cal too. saltwateraquarium.com has the best inverts like scarlets and their shipping is excellent. Very large specimens.
Yes - I’m by SNA, hence my handle lol. I usually just drop by one of the local LFS nearby and pick them up. Will look at online as well. Thanks

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool, will try to score some this weekend. I only have urchins and snails -- there are some areas in the rockwork that they can't get thru...
One note for these guys; they're fussy about shells. I have a theory that they're adapted for high-flow areas in the wild, as, unlike most hermits, they'll latch tightly onto the rockwork when you try to pick them up. In what I assume is part of that, they like beefy, thick, heavy shells. Googling them should show you what they like- babies will take cerith shells, but bigger ones want shells that look and feel like rocks. I've seen them evaluating new shells, and they include lifting the shell as if to test the weight, a test that causes them to immediately ignore the shell if it fails.
Oh, and they flip small objects over regularly, maybe looking for food underneath, so don't have any tiny frags set on your sandbed. The flipping is clearly deliberate- they hook their claws under it and lift. Cool behavior.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One note for these guys; they're fussy about shells. I have a theory that they're adapted for high-flow areas in the wild, as, unlike most hermits, they'll latch tightly onto the rockwork when you try to pick them up. In what I assume is part of that, they like beefy, thick, heavy shells. Googling them should show you what they like- babies will take cerith shells, but bigger ones want shells that look and feel like rocks. I've seen them evaluating new shells, and they include lifting the shell as if to test the weight, a test that causes them to immediately ignore the shell if it fails.
Oh, and they flip small objects over regularly, maybe looking for food underneath, so don't have any tiny frags set on your sandbed. The flipping is clearly deliberate- they hook their claws under it and lift. Cool behavior.
You really study these dudes and I agree with your theory too.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back