The art of multiple feedings & nitrate balance

lmarimpietri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All - I have 3 beautiful fish tanks (55/75/125) of which I’ve built & maintained for 8 years. I have yet to figure out the art of keeping my fish fat and happy while maintaining the perfect water balance required for corals. Sadly, my attempt to reduce feedings (in order to lower nitrates) led to losing my favorite lemon tang and a smaller fire fish. What’s the secret sauce to keeping both a variety of fish and advancing to add corals?

Lisa

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't think there's a true cut and paste "secret" to what you're wanting to achieve. Remember that no 2 tanks are alike.
I have a Reefer 350 with 10 fish including 2 tangs and an angel. I feed one cube of mysis, auto feed a mix of all three types of Nyos pellets each day and a sheet or 2 of nori a week. My tank is also pretty full of coral (LPS & Softies) and the fish are fat and corals are very happy.

I also don't test for nitrates or chase "desired" levels of elements and nutrients. I let my corals and fish determine if I need to make adjustments. I also don't run a protein skimmer o_O

IMG_2005.jpeg

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, use enough of it and all problems go away ;);)

But yeah - you can introduce some sort of a Carbon source, wether it be a permanent one like a Biopellets reactor or by dosing Vodka/Viniger or another commercial solution.

You do need to also watch your phosphates when doing so, because bacteria will consume all three CNP, albeit in different ratios.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, use enough of it and all problems go away ;);)

But yeah - you can introduce some sort of a Carbon source, wether it be a permanent one like a Biopellets reactor or by dosing Vodka/Viniger or another commercial solution.

You do need to also watch your phosphates when doing so, because bacteria will consume all three CNP, albeit in different ratios.
And don't bottom nutrients out.. a full refugium acts as the perfect buffer while you figure it out. Too low and it dies back, nourishing the reef before you realize your going to starve it to death.. easy visual que, months ahead of any consequences

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And don't bottom nutrients out.. a full refugium acts as the perfect buffer while you figure it out. Too low and it dies back, nourishing the reef before you realize your going to starve it to death.. easy visual que, months ahead of any consequences
I actually find it easier to use Biopellets to bottom Nitrates and dosing it back daily rather than trying to control export.

This way it doesn’t really matter if you had a little more or a little less because the bacteria will always by default level it down.

It works good for me mainly because one of my goals is to also reduce phosphates though, otherwise it’ll probably bottom out quickly.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your levels and do you have specific coral that you have trouble with? The tank in my aquarium showcase has 5 large fat tangs, some that have been with me over 6 years. I feed heavily 2-3 times a day and they get snacks in between because they are such good beggers and know where I keep the pellets that are treats. I don't keep high end acros in that tank but I do have a mixture. There are certain coral I can not keep but I've always had that problem and just stop trying those. I run filter socks, a chaeto fuge and skimmer but I skim so dry I never have to empty the cup but just clean it. I also don't harvest any chaeto until it's overflowing and I have to. Water changes are 20g a week usually with a total volume about 220g.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back