The best way to mount Radion ballasts?

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Im in the process of starting to mount hardware in the cabinet. My new sump comes tomorrow and the tank next week. My question is for the Radion experts. I did not anticipate the ballasts to be so big. I have three to mount. Can I screw them in to the top? Should they be on the outside (I'm thinking no because of potential drip issues)?

Vivid Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The farther away from the water and heat the better. You can mount them inside the cabinet providing that it is well ventilated. Just keep them as far away from the sump as possible. Screwing them to the top, or side, of the cabinet can work well.

You could put them between the cabinet and wall - usually there is 3"-4" of space between the cabinet and wall. Just elevate them so they will not get wet if water hits the floor. Also make sure to protect them from splashes of water.

You could also create a small shelf and mount them to the back side of your canopy if you have one. Great choice for lights!

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The farther away from the water and heat the better. You can mount them inside the cabinet providing that it is well ventilated. Just keep them as far away from the sump as possible. Screwing them to the top, or side, of the cabinet can work well.

You could put them between the cabinet and wall - usually there is 3"-4" of space between the cabinet and wall. Just elevate them so they will not get wet if water hits the floor. Also make sure to protect them from splashes of water.

You could also create a small shelf and mount them to the back side of your canopy if you have one. Great choice for lights!

Thanks for the advice. When you say behind the cabinet (yes, there is space because my tank will have an external overflow), do you mean on the floor?

Vivid Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put Ecotech Radion Ballasts directly on the floor. You should elevate them so the won't get wet if water spills. Consider what could go wrong. Secure your plumbing. Protect them from spills. Elevate them off of the floor. Blocks of wood or small cinder blocks could work well.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would not put Ecotech Radion Ballasts directly on the floor. You should elevate them so the won't get wet if water spills. Consider what could go wrong. Secure your plumbing. Protect them from spills. Elevate them off of the floor. Blocks of wood or small cinder blocks could work well.

I agree.
If you put them in a place where water could get on them, it probably will.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the 3m dual lock strips. They hold a ton of weight! Check home depot

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mounted mine on the back of the stand between stand and wall. Which is questionable with possible water spills. But I have a big glass brace across the section there mounted 2

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
326768ea36c6b1ab27949633ee51d775.jpg

Upside down!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back