The Bluegrass Reef

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately not yet. I can order them from an out of state LFS but I don't have a QT system. My LFS is getting a large order in this week so hopefully some of what I'm looking for is going to come in. Ironically as I was typing my reply I got a notification that my 2 anthias should come in tomorrow!
Unfortunately last week I had my female clownfish find its way through a small gap in my cover and I found her the next morning on top. Was really bummed since it was one of the 2 that I got when I first got in the hobby. Still have the male and I’ll get another one but super unfortunate.
Is it the largest clown in your profile pic? I’m sorry you lost her. Following along

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the stag doing?
The stag is doing great. Colors are still meh but nutrients are low. Growing steadily, crazy to think that I got this piece a an xl frag a little over a year and a half ago. This image is from this morning. A good 8 inches wide.

tempImagezUqMqp.png

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just scored a Colorado Sunburst Anemone from @TCK Corals! Super excited to get it in the tank and see how it does. I've had a Holy Grail in the past that was taken out by a heater failure but I would say this is definitely the best high end piece I have had. Hoping my clown(s) will choose to host it. If they don't I may try and get some skunk clowns.
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 4.10.24 PM.png

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just scored a Colorado Sunburst Anemone from @TCK Corals! Super excited to get it in the tank and see how it does. I've had a Holy Grail in the past that was taken out by a heater failure but I would say this is definitely the best high end piece I have had. Hoping my clown(s) will choose to host it. If they don't I may try and get some skunk clowns.
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 4.10.24 PM.png
Unfortunately I won't be getting the CSB. I was sent the invoice to pay for the NEM but couldn't get a shipping date that would work for me. (traveling) TCK never responded to emails until today (had to DM them on instagram). When I went to finish the transaction today it had sold to the next bidder. A little disappointed but I did have nightmares about it walking all around my tank. Guess I can use the money saved here towards other livestock.

Kowyzg0moo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can I just say - THANK YOU for writing down that the instructions were backwards. I also cannot for the life of me figure out why the overflow was draining and none of my water was coming out of the regular drain plumbing. I recently got a Reefer 425 and I love the tan, it is so much better built than the previous generation but the instructions on this thing were absolutely abysmal. There are no stickers on any of the panels, no details in the photo and you kind of just have to figure it out and guess what goes together. Keep up the great work and can’t wait to see what you’re doing with your tank!

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can I just say - THANK YOU for writing down that the instructions were backwards. I also cannot for the life of me figure out why the overflow was draining and none of my water was coming out of the regular drain plumbing. I recently got a Reefer 425 and I love the tan, it is so much better built than the previous generation but the instructions on this thing were absolutely abysmal. There are no stickers on any of the panels, no details in the photo and you kind of just have to figure it out and guess what goes together. Keep up the great work and can’t wait to see what you’re doing with your tank!
Glad I was able to help! I was very bamboozled during my leak test as I couldn't control the amount of water coming into the sump. Worst part was having to drain the overflow.... The G2 versions are constructed so much better than the previous versions but I do wish there was an indication that the instruction were flipped. You should start a build thread of your own! ;)

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you still following along I'm still waiting on getting more fish in. This is the list of fish I currently have on order from various places.

Gladiator Davincii Clownfish (Replacement) :downcast-face-with-sweat:
Filamented Flasher Wrasse
Choati Wrasse
2 Lyertail Anthias

Having some issues with all of these being available (not surprised about wrasses as they are higher end). Hoping to have some of these guys in the tank by mid November. I added a few members of a COC last week that are slowly going to work on various algae from the new tank syndrome. Super excited about the Hawaii band being lifted as I would really like to get a potters angel and a flame wrasse :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did some emergency maintenance this weekend. After having the tank running for 5 months I noticed that the clamps that my LFS used to secure my return hose had a lot of rust on them. I haven't seen any issues in the tank with livestock or coral which is good.
I still had some of the green tube that was included in the tank from Red Sea so I measured and cut that to be the fix. Honestly looks much better and a lot cleaner in the sump. I was also able to get the return pump to sit even on the bottom.
Here's a before and after
IMG_6018.jpeg
IMG_6020.jpeg

IMG_6017.jpeg
IMG_6019.jpeg

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, during the install I didn’t think much about it but once I noticed how rusted they were I was very alarmed. I’m just glad it didn’t effect the tank at all. Getting the green tubing on was a pain though. Nothing a blow dryer on high heat couldn’t help with.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, during the install I didn’t think much about it but once I noticed how rusted they were I was very alarmed. I’m just glad it didn’t effect the tank at all. Getting the green tubing on was a pain though. Nothing a blow dryer on high heat couldn’t help with.
Put small plastic zip ties on the ends to secure it.

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get those acros from TSA?
Yep I did. They are all doing well and have encrusted over their plugs but have lost their color. Not surprisingly since my tank as far less nutrients than TSA's systems. As of this week I can see the color slowly starting to make a comeback. Some of them have polyps coloring up and others the coral flesh itself. Nothing that a picture will show.

I've been tempted to change lighting or add more amino acids but I keep reminding myself about staying consistent and its paying off.

Last edited:

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I did. They are all doing well and have encrusted over their plugs but have lost their color. Not surprisingly since my tank as far less nutrients than TSA's systems. As of this week I can see the color slowly starting to make a comeback. Some of them have polyps coloring up and others the coral flesh itself. Nothing that a picture will show.

Ive been tempted to change lighting or had more amino acids but I keep reminding myself about staying consistent and its paying off.
Which one is your fav?? I am planning on investing some money into TSA acros. Almost bought a Carolina reaper....so far I have rainbow sherbet, bill Murray, and twisted sister coming.

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the tank doing?
So far so good. Just staying consistent with my maintenance and not overfeeding to get nutrient levels to rise. I'm wanting to get my nutrients up by adding more fish. My LFS got in 2 more Anthias this week but 1 died (shipping stress) so I'm waiting to see how the other one does. I'm likely going to get a QT tank setup so I can order more fish online and not have to wait for my LFS to have them on order.
As much as I want more coral I want to get more fish first so my nutrients rise and the water is more "dirty" to help with coloration and growth.

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one is your fav?? I am planning on investing some money into TSA acros. Almost bought a Carolina reaper....so far I have rainbow sherbet, bill Murray, and twisted sister coming.
When they came in and they were colored up the Fruity Pebbles and Prairie Fire were amazing along with the Daydream. I don't have a Carolina Reaper or Gorilla Glue but I do like them. Wooly Mammoth has crazy long polyps which are awesome.
Once I can get these to color up and continue to grow I have some of their HIGH HIGH end pieces on my wish list such as Rocky Balboa, Mango Madness, Sour Twist, Angry Birds. (not all of them lol, don't want $2K plus in 4 half inch pieces)

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. Just staying consistent with my maintenance and not overfeeding to get nutrient levels to rise. I'm wanting to get my nutrients up by adding more fish. My LFS got in 2 more Anthias this week but 1 died (shipping stress) so I'm waiting to see how the other one does. I'm likely going to get a QT tank setup so I can order more fish online and not have to wait for my LFS to have them on order.
As much as I want more coral I want to get more fish first so my nutrients rise and the water is more "dirty" to help with coloration and growth.
How big do you plan on the Anthias harem to be?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back