The BRS 160: 10 Weeks of the Triton Method | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess what guys?!?

Today we've got the 2-1/2 month update of the BRS160 since we've stopped changing water and converted to the full Triton Method! :D Ryan also gives his thoughts on this and other methods of nutrient control and explains in detail how the Triton Method works.

Jason Oldfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the question I have is, have you simply replaced one form of effort and cost with another (i.e. switched from cost and labor to do water changes to cost and labor to implement and maintain the Triton method)? When I bought my Roomba, I found that it really didn't SAVE me any time. I simply shifted my efforts from vacuuming to becoming a Roomba maintenance person.

I am VERY interested in the outcome of this test and have been following this very closely. I have ALWAYS run a refugium on my tank with what I believe to be very good results, but I believe those results could be improved with the addition of the Kessil H380 as well as enlarging my refugium. However, like most reefers, I would LOVE to eliminate the tediousness of water changes (not to mention my back would thank me as well), and would gladly invest in the Triton system if it really did reduce the overall labor required to maintain my tank.

Regardless, great work, and I look forward to continuing to follow this experiment.

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great video, as always so informative. hey question -- you talked a few times about utilizing the refugium as a nutrient export and doubling the BRS 180 fuge in preparation for the Trinton method. Ive seen the sessions on the chaeto experiments in the past. Is there a specific video or details on what exactly you did to the fuge -- size, flow, lighting, etc -- to prepare for the Triton method switch?

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the work you folks do with these investigations and I would be interested in the other approach’s you spoke of.

I am setting up QT systems right now and have yet to order my display tank so I haven’t decided on a process yet but I know I will be aiming for a no water change approach.

Thanks again for you efforts.

By the way your videos were one of the main influences in my setting up a reef tank. No pressure on you guys. [emoji16]

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the question I have is, have you simply replaced one form of effort and cost with another (i.e. switched from cost and labor to do water changes to cost and labor to implement and maintain the Triton method)? When I bought my Roomba, I found that it really didn't SAVE me any time. I simply shifted my efforts from vacuuming to becoming a Roomba maintenance person.

I am VERY interested in the outcome of this test and have been following this very closely. I have ALWAYS run a refugium on my tank with what I believe to be very good results, but I believe those results could be improved with the addition of the Kessil H380 as well as enlarging my refugium. However, like most reefers, I would LOVE to eliminate the tediousness of water changes (not to mention my back would thank me as well), and would gladly invest in the Triton system if it really did reduce the overall labor required to maintain my tank.

Regardless, great work, and I look forward to continuing to follow this experiment.

I haven't found Triton to be much additional work. The four part is no change from the 2 part we were dosing because it's on dosing pumps. The ICP testing really only needs to be done a few times a year, maybe every 3-4 months. Same with the corrections. It's not designed for anyone to play mad scientist and try to make weekly or monthly element corrections. Just periodic adjustments to a handful of elements that may be significantly off track. I can tell you this is a 10th the effort that went into Zeovit. In my eyes, it's not proven like Zeo but on it's way. I liked Zeovit a lot and it produced legit results but this is much less work

Last edited:

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the work you folks do with these investigations and I would be interested in the other approach’s you spoke of.

I am setting up QT systems right now and have yet to order my display tank so I haven’t decided on a process yet but I know I will be aiming for a no water change approach.

Thanks again for you efforts.

By the way your videos were one of the main influences in my setting up a reef tank. No pressure on you guys. [emoji16]

Provided reefers are interested I think we might start producing these other approaches to zero water changes fairly soon. Similar to Triton, I don't want to just say don't do water changes and hope for the best. I am looking at holistic approaches which make real attempts at proper filtration and chemistry in a no maintenance water change environment. I feel like we are on the cusp of an evolutionary process where the community is about to take what we have all learned in the last decade and take it to a new level.

RudyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are confirming everything that I have been kind of doing. I am making changes as I go along slowly. I have not done a water change since I moved my main 150g tank 6 months ago. Before then I had not done a water change for over two years. I use the BRS Kalk tied to my auto top off based on evaporation and adding supplements to my tank. I am thinking of going Triton as my supplements are the Red Sea Colors right now and have been for over a year. I will continue to make changes or adjustments base on your investigations and of course how my tanks are doing. Please keep going. I look forward to your videos, all of them.

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Video! I've been thinking/trying to move toward less or no water changes, but have a ways to go. I just setup my refugium about 2 months ago and it's been functioning ok, but it looks like I'll have to increase the flow rate significantly among many other changes. I currently am run GFO, dose vinegar, kalkwasser, Alk and use a Filter Sock and a Skimmer, which sound like would have to go. What would you recommend removing or dialing back first? My guess is the GFO. If so, it sure would significantly reduce my maintenance requirements.

Keep the research coming, it's truly appreciated :)

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work...appreciate all the efforts you all are making...adds great value to our hobby

Thanks

Rick

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work you guys have done. Love the idea of no WC. I am thinking about Triton as well. Questions
can you still use a Ca reactor with Triton?

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provided reefers are interested I think we might start producing these other approaches to zero water changes fairly soon. Similar to Triton, I don't want to just say don't do water changes and hope for the best. I am looking at holistic approaches which make real attempts at proper filtration and chemistry in a no maintenance water change environment. I feel like we are on the cusp of an evolutionary process where the community is about to take what we have all learned in the last decade and take it to a new level.

Great video as always. Any chance of comparing Triton to ATI Essentials? I wanted to try Triton but just couldn't get enough fuge space so I am going to give ATI a shot. I'd also be curious how the Trition "other methods" compares to the full Triton method.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used the Triton method for a year. Found it easy to maintain and testing confirmed that my parameters were fine. However, just wasn't happy with coral growth and color and for some reason had a constant battle with algae.. Tried Aquaforest with no real change other than the expense level went up due to that many more items that were supposedly required to get the desired performance. Went to the Red Sea method and went back to twice monthly water changes. While not much changed in the way of test results, I did notice and major increase of SPS growth and the algae issues disappeared. So while my results are anecdotal and not scientific, I am certain that something related to water changes has improved the results for me.

AquaLoco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video BRS. Really appreciate your contributions to the knowledge base of the Reefing community.

I was wondering, how are you keeping the sand clean?

Also, do you have a published list of the fish types and quantity in the BRS 160?

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great video, as always so informative. hey question -- you talked a few times about utilizing the refugium as a nutrient export and doubling the BRS 180 fuge in preparation for the Trinton method. Ive seen the sessions on the chaeto experiments in the past. Is there a specific video or details on what exactly you did to the fuge -- size, flow, lighting, etc -- to prepare for the Triton method switch?

Here's the video we did when we were prepping for the Triton Method. In this one Ryan lays out our 10-point plan to transfer over. :) Converting to Triton

-Randy

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be really picky, using plant life like macro algae to maintain a marine tank is one of the oldest methods around.

I really enjoy these videos and appreciate the work you do.

On the effects of macros on aquariums, I would like to point out that macro algaes (usually dried) are used to clean up industrial environments and removes nasty stuff in a single pass.

The removal rate is proportional (among other things) to the concentration of the nasties in the water.

Perhaps at natural sea water levels, trace elements along with the nasties like copper, are not removed at noticeable levels. But as concentrations of those things increase the macros remove more and more of the nasties. So stuff like copper from tap water are rapidly removed hopefully to healthy if not close to natural sea water levels.

So if we might overdose something like zinc or strontium, the macros may increase their filtering and help return levels to acceptable levels.

I did see one study where macro algae exposed to 250ppm copper increased copper in the macros from 30ppm to 1030ppm in two weeks. And the end point had not been reached.

I predict that as long as you keep the macros well fed your tank will thrive indefinitely.

But than I've been wrong before. :confused:

my .02

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is too bad that there isn't some kind of 'control' for this project. At the end there will be no real way to determine whether this method is more or less successful than any other method of reef keeping - only that the Triton method worked for this particular tank and these particular inhabitants. It will be interesting if/when water changes will be recommended by the ICP testing. In any case - it will be interesting to watch -thanks for making the videos (this one and the rest) - they are a great benefit to this hobby

reef jacob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use the triton method, however I do carbon, red sea nopox and a large skimmer to bring my nutrients down to 0 which in turn allows me to never do water changes.
Heres a pic of my 120 gallon that doesn't use water changes as a nutrient export but instead using nopox mainly.

IMG_20170819_101013_771.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back