"The Card's Write Protect Switch is Set To Lock"

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I am having an issue with my camera, Rebel T3, saying "the card's write protect switch is set to lock." it even gives this error message after I have ensured the write protect switch is indeed in the unlock position and even when no card is in the camera at all. I have searched google and attempted to find guidance on the issue, but all the recommendations are "check the lock on the camera card"....no duh.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had a similar issue and knew of a quick fix before I take this bad boy to an expensive camera shop.
Thanks.

PS: I ordered a new card to eliminate the possibility of a defective sd card...same problem continues.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you attempted to write to the card, while the card is in a card reader?

Also, in the camera settings, there is a setting that disables the ability to take photographs unless there is a card installed. In that same settings area, check to see if there are any other settings that would effect this.

You may also attempt to update the camera's firmware.

Last suggestion...in your camera settings, there's an option to return ALL settings to default. I would suggest trying that, before going to a camera shop.

Okay, one more suggestion...visit Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin This forum is dedicated to Cannon cameras. Someone on there may be able to assist you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
florida reef

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the links, sid. I think the last link identified the problem. I believe the piece inside the camera that detects the switch's on/off position is broken and missing. I called canon and they wanted a flat fee of $190 to service the camera, so I guess I'll check around to see what I can find locally as far as competitive repair rates.
Thanks for the help!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back