The Catskill Reef...

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The club is only a few months old...most of our interaction so far is on facebook...because we are very rural, reefers are few and far between, however we do have 15 "members"...no meetings yet, but several of us know each other and there is lots of discussion when we meet at the LFS...In the meantime, members show their tanks on FB and I and others put up educational articles, pictures of interest, etc...

Anyone in our area (Sullivan County, NY) is welcome to join and, who knows, we may have a real meeting one of these days...:D...by the way, "the Catskill Reef" is a play- on- words since there is no reef within a thousand miles...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome!

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the forum, and returning to the hobby after being out a while (about 15 years). I am in Saugerties, which is on the northern side of the Catskills. I like your club name - it is like time travel, because as I am sure you know, hundreds of millions of years ago there *were* reefs in what would become the Catskills ...

I don't have a facebook account (old school), but I'd hope to interact with members on this forum, if only to know there are others in the area. I am planning my return to reefing with a 220g build, and have been learning quite a bit by reading R2R and that other big reef forum. It is interesting to read that some things have changed (science and technology move on), but most of the basics have stayed the same ...

diverrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this club still around if so I would in interested in joining.

OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The club is only a few months old...most of our interaction so far is on facebook...because we are very rural, reefers are few and far between, however we do have 15 "members"...no meetings yet, but several of us know each other and there is lots of discussion when we meet at the LFS...In the meantime, members show their tanks on FB and I and others put up educational articles, pictures of interest, etc...

Anyone in our area (Sullivan County, NY) is welcome to join and, who knows, we may have a real meeting one of these days...:D...by the way, "the Catskill Reef" is a play- on- words since there is no reef within a thousand miles...
Yes, we are in existence...just topped 50 members with a guy from India...so we are now an "international" club...Just go on The Catskill Reef to join...great to have all of you...to Foxt, we have never had a real meeting yet...most of it is on facebook...look, I am 73 and I manage with the help of my wife who is more tech savvy...we may have a meeting in the Binghamton area after the New Year, but I highly recommend FG...there's tons of forums and you are missing a lot without it...I could put you down as a member, but you would not benefit at all with fb...let me know what's [email protected]...

OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TCR just had its first live meeting at the Vestal Star restaurant with its 300 gal. reef...and back to Kevin Tung's house for a drawing and seeing his 125 reef...8 people were there and it was great...we called it the Meet, Greet and Eat and we had a great time doing all three...besides myself, Kevin and Darryl are now co-administrators of the club with 70 member world wide...That's The Catskill Reef...(remember that name)...
TCR meetin.jpg
TCR meetin.jpg

OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the forum, and returning to the hobby after being out a while (about 15 years). I am in Saugerties, which is on the northern side of the Catskills. I like your club name - it is like time travel, because as I am sure you know, hundreds of millions of years ago there *were* reefs in what would become the Catskills ...

I don't have a facebook account (old school), but I'd hope to interact with members on this forum, if only to know there are others in the area. I am planning my return to reefing with a 220g build, and have been learning quite a bit by reading R2R and that other big reef forum. It is interesting to read that some things have changed (science and technology move on), but most of the basics have stayed the same ...
Not sure when you posted this...you are 100% right about the name...but I thought more about today...no reefs within hundreds of miles...thought of it 15 years ago...now we have 160 members world wide...love to have you as a member...we really get into lots of stuff...but while we are thinking of a second meeting...it is mostly on Facebook...your old school?...I'm 73 and without my wife i could not do anything techy...check us out and join...do it, man!!!;Pompus

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t even know there were other reefers in Sullivan county besides my self. Just joking. I don’t do Facebook either so it was nice to see this

OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
331 members worldwide...I'm in the Manor...you?...Do facebook, at least for TCR...we have a lot of real experience and expertese...and "Show Off Your Stuff Sunday"...members put up pics of there tanks...new, old, great, not so great...a very friendly group from the Catskill's to Egypt, England, Indonesia...Kenya...you name it...give us a look...be happy to have you...
;Pompus

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back