The "Come back" after my tank swap and hiccup/mini crash ?

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapped tanks from a 40 breeder to a 65. Had some issues. Replaced 100% of the sand and I shouldn't have done that. Complications ensued. Within days the fish broke out in ich And I started losing hundred dollar acros One by one every day for about 14 days. Only three survived.
Tank now "looks good" but parameters are still a little wonky.

alk 10.5 (9.9 is my target)
I honestly don't test calcium and mag very often as I dose all for reef. I spot check them about once a month and it's always in line. ONE time I had to raise my mag about 55ppm.

nitrate is a bit fruggin high st 25 ppm. (My old tank ran rock steady at 5ppm. I'll be happy with 10)
Phosphate is .12 (I use to run at .03 but I'll be happy at .04-.05)

all in all things are looking up. I've been treating the ich with polyp lab medic and feeding high quality foods.

I've never posted a full tank shot before but I'm happy with where it's sitting. I just can't wait to get back into acros. The ones that survived are showing minimal polyp extension so I've hit the breaks on buying any new (for the most part. I cracked and ordered an ORA "the Carl" two days ago. I'm going to try very hard to stick to all things aquacultured from here on out)

any questions comments feel free to ask. Also, this tank is sumpless)

0FFE28CB-7E83-4D12-BD98-61B4BC1D1DE3.jpeg 75644B7F-E236-41AE-99F3-318B7FDC8EDB.jpeg FFBE38B9-CBEC-4CD2-879A-DD542EC8CD03.jpeg 1A917191-C1AA-44DE-A9B1-EA741A628790.jpeg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great! I'm curious why you think changing out your sand caused issues? Assuming the new sand was clean it shouldn't have caused any problems.

OP
OP
Rjmul

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great! I'm curious why you think changing out your sand caused issues? Assuming the new sand was clean it shouldn't have caused any problems.
I think it trashed the bio filter. I had a major bacterial bloom.

OP
OP
Rjmul

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major destabilizing event. I used a lot of "live sand" in the upgrade but it wasn't year old DSB sand

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from a 30 long to a 100. All new sand. 0 crash.

Did you brew your new rocks in a tub firsts or use your old live rock? Or both?

I also moved over about 15 marine pure spheres to help ..... curious. Glad it’s improving.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major destabilizing event. I used a lot of "live sand" in the upgrade but it wasn't year old DSB sand
OK I think I understand. Where did you get the live sand? was it the stuff sitting on the shelf at your lfs? I call that decaying sand. Not much can survive sitting in a sealed bag for who knows how long

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd expect losses with a tank swap. Looks pretty dang good now. Do you have a HOB filter? Just curious.

OP
OP
Rjmul

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from a 30 long to a 100. All new sand. 0 crash.

Did you brew your new rocks in a tub firsts or use your old live rock? Or both?

I also moved over about 15 marine pure spheres to help ..... curious. Glad it’s improving.

no new rock, kind of.
For the initial upgrade, zero new rock just new scape. After the first week of total shyt, I went to the OLD SCHOOL lfs and bought seven pounds of the dirtiest oldest most sponge and coraline live rock they had in hopes of swinging the tank in the right direction. That MIGHT have actually worked. It spiked my nutrients a tid bit, but the tank immediately improved

OP
OP
Rjmul

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I think I understand. Where did you get the live sand? was it the stuff sitting on the shelf at your lfs? I call that decaying sand. Not much can survive sitting in a sealed bag for who knows how long
That's exactly what I bought. Bought a few bags of that for the top layers of the sand bed. And sugar fine for the lower.
I keep telling myself I'm going to stop using the "live sand" from the stores but I like the little pink and purple pebbles ‍♂️

OP
OP
Rjmul

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd expect losses with a tank swap. Looks pretty dang good now. Do you have a HOB filter? Just curious.
Aquaclear 110 on the right side of the tank doubling as a half done powerhead. Floss, marine pure and usually carbon in that order from bottom to top. I have one of those 3D printed "overflows" attached to it to surface skim, with smart ato sensor attached to the side of it.

Reef octopus 1k HOB skimmer

2 hydra 32s
3 kamoer X1s dosing all for reef, nopox, and Acro power.

HONORABLE MENTION, I upgraded the lighting from black boxes at the same time. Zero clue about par readings before or after. That was another problem

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I switched it was all new live sand, 10 gallons of old water, 7o% rocks that had been brewing in Dr. Tim’s, 30% 2 + year old live rock, 15-20 marine pure spheres. All animals and corals, all old shells etc....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back