My first tank crash? Any better plans?

banik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok friends, need some advice. I think I'm in the middle of my first tank crash4 months into the hobby. I've been fighting red planaria for 2 months or so. I've done 2 or 3 doses of FlatwormRX with no issues, except each time the planaria would be back a couple weeks later. I would run carbon shortly after dosing, etc. This past week I decided to be diligent, so 3 doses separated by 3 days. After my second dose, things started being unhappy. My LPS started staying retracted and saw some mucus and mesenterial filaments. My platygyra started doing... something. I did nothing different and the population of flatworms was tiny. I let the carbon do its thing. The next day, things are still not happy. I did a 20% water change and replaced the carbon. The next day, I dosed Prime then did a second 20% water change because things were still not happy. I checked all my params - 77deg, 8.2dkh, 1.027sg, .02 ammonia, 7.8pH (normal for my tank).

Today it's looking slightly worse. I'm going to do a 100-ish% water change and change the carbon, and I can't think of anything else to do. Suggestions?

PXL_20240216_132458501.jpg PXL_20240216_132452147.jpg

PXL_20240216_135004721.jpg
PXL_20240216_135000687.jpg

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are in trouble cause everything is mounted. I would be doing some daily kcl dips. Also start moving to another tank after dip. If FWS and exit are not working you may need to move things and shut down the tank and restart. amoxacillin dips may help to heal what you are losing.

OP
OP
banik

banik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are in trouble cause everything is mounted. I would be doing some daily kcl dips. Also start moving to another tank after dip. If FWS and exit are not working you may need to move things and shut down the tank and restart. amoxacillin dips may help to heal what you are losing.
What you're seeing in the picture are the mesenterial filaments, not flat worms. There aren't any of the red planaria visible.

ETA: Or do you mean after whatever this is sorts out, one way or the other?

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to me this looks like its trying to heal but there is some hair algae on there too. Amoxicillin will speed up healing .

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to lessen your light power, that’s first thing done to reduce crash process in this case as the corals are burnt under production level lighting. You can increase it back later, slowly. Run carbon during your water changes

Last edited:
OP
OP
banik

banik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In no way, shape or form is amoxicillin indicated here that’s just bizarre and I’m so glad they’re preventing hobbyists from accessing antibiotics like cipro etc.

Soon that amox won’t be available either from pill mill sites

it’s astounding someone would say flatworm dip needs antibiotics as a balance. But then again, that’s how all cipro doses worked too, people just made up stuff then added it.

You need to lessen your light power, that’s first thing done to reduce crash process in this case as the corals are burnt under production level lighting. You can increase it back later, slowly. Run carbon during your water changes
I've incorporated a lighting acclimation cycle to move from 10% back up to normal power over the next 4 weeks, thanks for your suggestion and views on the above.

OP
OP
banik

banik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update on this. 14 hours after a 50% water change, my LPS still have their mesenterial filiments showing. Going to give it a couple days and keep testing.

OP
OP
banik

banik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I've decided to remove my leathers to my QT tank. I have a suspicion they may be releasing toxins as part of a self reinforcing cycle

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back