HELP! Tank crash? Inverts dying, coral stressed

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - my guess is that the water issues should be solved since you've basically done a 100% water change. There could be unmeasured toxins from dying coral, etc - and for this reason I would add carbon (activated - high quality) - and leave it there.

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tail-down swimming posture is suggestive of a swim bladder issue, negative inflation. Can you tell, if the tang stops forward momentum, does it sink?

Jay
I’m not really sure. What I can say is that from when I originally got it, it’s always kind have swam like that “flappy bird” game. But then I’ll see it swim like the other yellow tangs too when it extends its dorsal fin like it gives it more “hovering” balance.

Here’s a video from the day before where its dorsal fin wasn’t stuck extended yet. So you can see how it typically roams or positions itself when picking at things.

I just checked the Purple tang again this morning and it’s fun is still fully extended.

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - my guess is that the water issues should be solved since you've basically done a 100% water change. There could be unmeasured toxins from dying coral, etc - and for this reason I would add carbon (activated - high quality) - and leave it there.
Thank you. I’ve done effectively 66% (6x 20%) of water removed.

I have pull the carbon out for a few hours after the Rally Pro is dosed but place it back later in the day.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. I’ve done effectively 66% (6x 20%) of water removed.

I have pull the carbon out for a few hours after the Rally Pro is dosed but place it back later in the day.
I would only use carbon while you're treating with medicine the manufacturer states it's ok. I did not realize you had started anything yet.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not really sure. What I can say is that from when I originally got it, it’s always kind have swam like that “flappy bird” game. But then I’ll see it swim like the other yellow tangs too when it extends its dorsal fin like it gives it more “hovering” balance.

Here’s a video from the day before where its dorsal fin wasn’t stuck extended yet. So you can see how it typically roams or positions itself when picking at things.

I just checked the Purple tang again this morning and it’s fun is still fully extended.

Well, I can't tell you why the dorsal fin is stuck open, but that fish is definately negatively bouyant - like when I SCUBA dive and put on too many weights!

Jay

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can't tell you why the dorsal fin is stuck open, but that fish is definately negatively bouyant - like when I SCUBA dive and put on too many weights!

Jay
Yeah this is normal for this one as it’s been a little off like this from day one, and it seems it’s very minimal. It’s able to go nose first to pick at the sand easily and can rise to the top of the water column relatively easy. Not perfect but it’s not really been too obvious until I really start looking for it.

Just very concerned about the dorsal fin being stuck (still) in the max extended position (or should it be concerning?).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back