restarting tank- how to clean?

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am restarting my 20g tank. I've had nothing but problems lately - the latest being a dino (LCA) outbreak that I have been dosing silicates for the last few months for. My tank needs a fresh start- so I am planning to move all my fish/coral/inverts to a temporary tank along with the rocks and a bit of sand for my pistol shrimp. I have ordered all new rock and sand. Basically, I plan to completely empty my 20g and fill it with freshwater as I heard this kills dinos. let it run for a few days like that, then empty and clean it out, let it dry for a few more days, and begin a new cycle with the new rocks and sand.

What kind of cleaning should I do to my empty tank besides freshwater? What is safe to use to clean it?

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos will come back with the livestock... since its now on the coral skeleton and in/on inverts. Be sure to have tons of pods and competing algae/bacteria before you reintroduce any of that coral.

After my rant LOL

For tank cleaning you can use a whole bunch of stuff. For your purposes i'd just use some 3% white vinigar in a spray bottle and clean it that way. And rinse it out well

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, what would be different the 2nd time around?
I starved my tank trying to get rid of bubble algae. It bottomed out the nutrients and caused these issues. just want to restart and not have that happen

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos will come back with the livestock... since its now on the coral skeleton and in/on inverts. Be sure to have tons of pods and competing algae/bacteria before you reintroduce any of that coral.

After my rant LOL

For tank cleaning you can use a whole bunch of stuff. For your purposes i'd just use some 3% white vinigar in a spray bottle and clean it that way. And rinse it out well
i dont have many corals anymore and im going to try to quarantine them first to not reintroduce. I dont expect to never see any again- but I am going to try to get the bacteria biodiversity going like you said. Thanks for the tip of vinegar!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back