Tank crashing

hashbrown1408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, sadly my tailspin blenny passed away.
I checked water chemistry for my 25g nano:

Phosphates 0.42
Ammonia less than 0.02
Nitrates 3.2
Alkalinity 3.7

All other fish and inverts are healthy and corals look happy )

I ran phosphoguard but it hasn’t seemed to help.
Does anyone have an idea of what might have caused these drastic changes? This is the second time I noticed this happen (luckily the first time no fish or corals were lost)
I run lights for 8hrs and then refugium for 12hrs O/N and do a 20% weekly water change in addition to dosing all for reef.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is your water cloudy at all?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would suspect a bacterial bloom honestly. Maybe not, but years ago my tailspot was the first to go.

Mppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosguard is wicked strong stuff so I wouldn't go too nuts and test daily or every 2 days for next week minimally until you reach .15ppm or less. The alkalinity level being so low is weird to me. You were right to do only 20% imho on such a small tank and it will only barely affect the phosphate level so I think the main thing is take it slow in your reversal process as you haven't seen to lose anything. If you do too much of a water change you may get a cyano breakout as your nitrates may bottom out. I've never had the reverse problem of nitrates being lower than phosphates ( I can't say this is the worst news ever), but again just keep eye on phosphates as you're using phosguard as it DOES WORK and it's strong so may be a day or two before you see phosphates come down in testing. Maybe dose a bit of soda ash to start bringing up alkalinity and I am curious what your calcium and magnesium levels are as well. If you had a copepods explosion I wonder if you added too much phytoplankton as it does add phosphates.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What drastic changes do you mean? One fishing passing away but everything else happy? That’s not a tank crash. Sort of exaggerated there eh lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back