OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It got really bad in my tank about 12-16 months in, then went away pretty much forever...

Mine could be similar. Tank was running for 2-years. I started with Kalk then added AFR when kalk wasn't sufficient. Dosed phytoplankton a couple months in once the tank was ready for corals....stopped dosing after ~1.5 years when I was 3 months into my nuisance algae. Never restarted phytoplankton because I didn't see any effects on my coral. I also starred using carbon and GFO once my PO4 started to get above my targets.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine could be similar. Tank was running for 2-years. I started with Kalk then added AFR when kalk wasn't sufficient. Dosed phytoplankton a couple months in once the tank was ready for corals....stopped dosing after ~1.5 years when I was 3 months into my nuisance algae. Never restarted phytoplankton because I didn't see any effects on my coral. I also starred using carbon and GFO once my PO4 started to get above my targets.
Am I understanding this correctly that the introduction of AFR came around the time the nuisance began? I am guessing that's not what you meant but I can interpret it that way, mostly because it supports my suspicion of traces, but who knows.

Did you have an herbavor pass?

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I understanding this correctly that the introduction of AFR came around the time the nuisance began? I am guessing that's not what you meant but I can interpret it that way, mostly because it supports my suspicion of traces, but who knows.

Did you have an herbavor pass?

Nope. AFR was added within 6 months of tank start up...about 1.5yrs b4 nuisance algae.

What's an herbavor pass?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know that.

So I had no nuisance algae for two years then 1 year of nuisance algae...then it's gone again. Theory is trace elements?

It could be many things, but that’s one reasonable hypothesis.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread could describe my display tank.
Been largely unchanged for years, always had GHA. Other nuisances - cyano and dinos have been easy to eliminate. GHA has weathered all sorts of things that people use to get rid of it. Full slate of herbivores, chemical algaecides, pushing PO4 down, pushing NO3 down etc.
6+ months ago, the GHA receded and - with some minor spot treatments from me - it essentially disappeared. The past couple of months it's back. I have no good evidence or strong guesses for what was different during that short no-GHA period vs the rest of the history of my tank.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread could describe my display tank.
Been largely unchanged for years, always had GHA. Other nuisances - cyano and dinos have been easy to eliminate. GHA has weathered all sorts of things that people use to get rid of it. Full slate of herbivores, chemical algaecides, pushing PO4 down, pushing NO3 down etc.
6+ months ago, the GHA receded and - with some minor spot treatments from me - it essentially disappeared. The past couple of months it's back. I have no good evidence or strong guesses for what was different during that short no-GHA period vs the rest of the history of my tank.

I'm hoping I'm back to my normal no nuisance tank...something definitely shifted and changed in the tank over the last year.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So very curious. I wanted to see what would happen if I added some Zoas to the tank. I bought a nice colony (40+ heads) of Rasta Zoas...started out fine on Tuesday last week when I got it. One week in...its almost gone...just receding and disappearing. In about 100par shady areas in the tank.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In one week:
IMG_20231114_073730.jpg

To....
IMG_20231114_073746.jpg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In one week:
IMG_20231114_073730.jpg

To....
IMG_20231114_073746.jpg
That's faster than starvation, obviously. And your ICP looks pretty clear, so barring some weird toxin, (do you run GAC?) I am thinking some night-active predator.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's faster than starvation, obviously. And your ICP looks pretty clear, so barring some weird toxin, (do you run GAC?) I am thinking some night-active predator.

I do run a small amount of GAC and GFO in a reactor. About a 1/4 cup of each switched out every 6 weeks or so...

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s false… my biggest patch of corraline grows in 600+ par under a few metal halides… it spreads so fast it’s annoying lol..
All I can say is that my corraline algae only grows in more shaded areas of the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back