The Cycle

  • Thread starter Thread starter SpeedySurf
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SpeedySurf

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 1, 2025
Messages
18
Reaction score
36
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

So I am currently in the process of cycling my new 15 gallon fish-only tank. It has been running for 4 days. I went with live sand and dry rock, and I have a 1 oz bottle of Fritz TurboStart 900 in the fridge. What is the best thing I can add to the tank to produce ammonia to feed the bacteria?
 
Last edited:
You could use bottled ammonia but I would use a whole cocktail shrimp. Any die off on the live sand will help as well. You could also ghost feed with fish food.
 
Dosing will allow easy confirmation that it is done. The shrimp method works, but you may not see an ammonia rise so may not have confidence it is done.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new