The dreaded ich… thoughts on DT approach

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! Will dose when it arrives tomorrow.
I have an air stone in my sump, will add 2 more into the display also to increase aeration. Appreciate your advice and input!!
If you have a skimmer, let it overflow back into the sump. That way you still have the aeration, but you won't skim out the Prazi.

If you have good surface flow and a sump, I wouldn't think you will need airstones in the display.

OP
OP
SeaweedLife

SeaweedLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. PraziPro arrives tomorrow. Will give these fish a break today.

fish remaining: black cap basslett, 2 cardinals, clownfish, Pygmy wrasse, clown goby, mandarin goby

fish dead: 2 red scooter blennies, red Firefish, purple Firefish.

hopefully the minimal stocking will help this not spread more until the PraziPro works (only basslett is scratching at this point)

OP
OP
SeaweedLife

SeaweedLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/29: PraziPro is in- total volume is 80 gallons- subtracting out all of the live rock and space from filtration, assuming I’m at 60 gallons of water. Added 2 tsp (40 gal) to be safe into the sump for distribution.

Hoping for the best

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeaweedLife

SeaweedLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4/6 update: okay it’s been 8 days! My Pygmy wrasse disappeared around the time that fluke treatment started… assuming that he was affected and I wasn’t able to save him in time. Purple basslett still scratched a little throughout last week but he’s still alive!

coco worms and feather duster were angry but fine after 2 days. Clams clapped around for a day and then also fine.

treatment #2 in this morning- PraziPro dosed for 50 gallons this time.

OP
OP
SeaweedLife

SeaweedLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final update 4/14: no scratching that I have seen in a few days. Will end at 2 treatments

survivors: black cap basslett, 2 cardinals, clown goby, clownfish. All other fish died.

inverts: i only lost my 2 scallop clams, probably from water quality changing so much. Feather duster and coco worms are fine. I did water changes, but I think the swings were just too much for the clams.

thanks again to @Jay Hemdal and the rest of the reef medic team.

really glad this was flukes and not ich. Depressed by the losses but at least some were able to pull through. I am planning to leave the tank alone for 4-6 weeks besides routine water changes (and food of course) and give everyone time to just exist. Hopefully no other illnesses appear in the meantime.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back