The EPA, FIFRA, and various aquarium products

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, let me state clearly: I AM NOT A LAWYER. I'll probably get many things wrong here, and I welcome correction where I am misinterpreting or misreading things.

One or more recent lengthy threads here on R2R regarding the contents of a particular "Liquid Aquarium Cleaner" product has brought up the subject of the EPA and the labeling requirements for "pesticides". That led me to peruse parts of the EPA website, and what I have seen has raised many questions in my mind regarding the possibility that many aquarium products commonly sold openly on the market and used in many aquaria might present a "target rich environment" for the EPA's enforcement division if they were to come under close scrutiny.

So, what, exactly, does the EPA, and more specifically, the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act ("FIFRA") say a "pesticide" is? The answer to that can be found at the following link, and is written shortly and clearly enough that I'll simply link the page, rather than regurgitate its contents in this post: https://www.epa.gov/minimum-risk-pesticides/what-pesticide

Note that there is no requirement for any particular nasty chemicals to be present in a "pesticide"; it is defined by the intended use of the product, as represented by the claims being made in the labeling and advertizing of the product. In other words, if I were to develop a product that was merely a 5% NaCl solution in pure water, and then tried to market that product as, say, an algaecide, then the way I read the law, I would be in violation for not having registered the product with the EPA, even though it may have zero algaecidal properties whatsoever (in a saltwater aquarium, at least). Here is an example where someone was convicted under the FIFRA where the fundamental issues were the claims that were made about the product together with the failure to register it; the actual efficacy of the product was not at issue: https://tinyurl.com/36n4kdfj

Now, there is a provision for "Minimum Risk Pesticides", which are exempt from the registration requirement: https://www.epa.gov/minimum-risk-pesticides/conditions-minimum-risk-pesticides Note, however, that one of the requirements for this exemption is that the product list all of the active and inert ingredients on the label, and state the concentration by weight of the active ingredients.

I'm not going to mention any specific products, but I will say that several reef aquarium products come immediately to mind when I read these definitions.

Please don't think that I am arguing that any particular individuals or companies in the industry are necessarily doing anything wrong, or should be prosecuted, or alternatively, forced to go through untold reams of "red tape". I am neither an advocate for nor an opponent of the FIFRA. My attention has simply been drawn to these issues by the recent threads, and I'm more or less "thinking out loud" in this thread about my thought processes as I read about the FIFRA.

Since the recent "Liquid Aquarium Cleaner" threads have generated a lot of discussion about the hobby/industry and how we should all strive to improve things, provide better transparency, etc., I thought I'd start this thread to see what others' thoughts are.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through all of the materials provided, and I have to agree with you. The one thing I would not be sure about is if referenced aquarium cleaner has not obtained necessary documentation, as the very nature of the product is clearly a pesticide, that would be one of the first things I would do when creating such a product.

does anyone know how to find that info?

OP
OP
JimWelsh

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the referenced aquarium cleaner product have an EPA Registration Number and EPA Establishment Number on the label? If not, then it is not registered (EDIT: Or, it is mislabeled). In fact, the manufacturer stated that they had approached the EPA, and that the EPA wasn't interested: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/m...as-some-fluconazole-in-it.867114/post-9685466
Thanks for clearing it up! If they directly reached out to the EPA and were denied registration but told they could go ahead ( like they indicated in the linked post ) then I don’t see any reason for them to pursue it again, but I have a hard time believing that the EPA would be “uninterested” in providing registration that they themselves require.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the leg work Jim.

Its interesting if you consider Busan 77 as it applies to our hobby. The manufacturer, Buckman Industries, registered it with the EPA, published an SDS and properly sold it to other companies. https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/001448-00042-20140919.pdf
https://www.univarsolutions.com/ca/...DS/flm79o4rDUjgNlu6O47oPN1PoZ0bCkCZGQ8TAlFw01
Mars Fish Care decides this would be a great pesticide to market to the aquarium and pond industry. It packages the product in its own bottle and calls it Algae Fix. Mar Fish Care is a big company that knows how to hire competent regulatory counsel to navigate the laws in place to protect people and our environment such as FIFRA. Heck, it might have actually read up on Busan 77 and discovered that it was a registered pesticide. So, it published a safety data sheet for Algae Fix with the same information in the Busan 77 MSDS and labeled the product with the active and inactive ingredients. https://aquadocinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/AlgaeFix-SDS.pdf
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-upc...gaefix-64ounce-1000__43381.1635882974.jpg?c=1
The sale of Algae Fix appears to be in full compliance with FIFRA.

Now, let say another company bought properly registered Busan 77 and put it in a bottle and called it something else, say, "Shiny Tank", but did not properly identify the active ingredients or publish a safety data sheet and instead labeled the active ingredient as "magic bugs". THAT would appear to violate FIFRA. If you peruse the penalty pages of the EPA website, violations can result in civil penalties -- applied when the violator had no understanding that it was violating the law -- and criminal penalties -- applied when the violator had knowledge that it was violating the law.

Whether any of this actually happened with the liquid aquarium cleaner that has been the subject of much investigation here lately is at this point speculation but there is certainly a ton of evidence to suggest that has.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Its interesting if you consider Busan 77 as it applies to our hobby. The manufacturer, Buckman Industries, registered it with the EPA, published an SDS and properly sold it to other companies. https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/001448-00042-20140919.pdf
https://www.univarsolutions.com/ca/en/proxy/index/index/?e=0:3:+B32SekMDOiLkRqkugL05BawVVyE2CqAPZEmdxXMrxZwVCG5u4ePfHY7+Egzeys0Ia5qtYSN9QD49b8Vk8YusSYO1D0gxevAGDVu5YBBapBKPAvSGeUZxk7sgrDUl+CSxbZLF+3TXXvXy3wnwhkDS/flm79o4rDUjgNlu6O47oPN1PoZ0bCkCZGQ8TAlFw01
Mars Fish Care decides this would be a great pesticide to market to the aquarium and pond industry. It packages the product in its own bottle and calls it Algae Fix. Mar Fish Care is a big company that knows how to hire competent regulatory counsel to navigate the laws in place to protect people and our environment such as FIFRA. Heck, it might have actually read up on Busan 77 and discovered that it was a registered pesticide. So, it published a safety data sheet for Algae Fix with the same information in the Busan 77 MSDS and labeled the product with the active and inactive ingredients. https://aquadocinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/AlgaeFix-SDS.pdf
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-upc...gaefix-64ounce-1000__43381.1635882974.jpg?c=1

Now, let say another company bought properly registered Busan 77 and put it in a bottle and called it something else, say, "Shiny Tank", but did not properly identify the active ingredients or publish a safety data sheet and instead labeled the active ingredient as "magic bugs". THAT would appear to violate FIFRA. If you peruse the penalty pages of the EPA website, violations can result in civil penalties -- applied when the violator had no understanding that it was violating the law -- and criminal penalties -- applied when the violator had knowledge that it was violating the law.

Whether any of this actually happened with the liquid aquarium cleaner that has been the subject of much investigation here lately is at this point speculation but there is certainly a ton of evidence to suggest that has.
^^ This ^^ Well said. :)

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
algaefix is EPA approved. I contacted API directly about algaefix in regards to disposal, and it also contained other information that might be important, such as the active ingredients in algeafix are only active for about 48 hours.

The important part is the concentration/volume. If you have large amounts of it, then the rules are going to be different, which I think you hinted on.

But if Vibrant is algaefix as the tests seem to indicate, I would guess UWC is in a decent amount of trouble. Algaefix has EPA approved labels on it, lists the active ingredients and has instructions for disposal. Meanwhile my Vibrant bottle has nothing of the sort on it.

OP
OP
JimWelsh

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

https://www.univarsolutions.com/ca/en/proxy/index/index/?e=0:3:+B32SekMDOiLkRqkugL05BawVVyE2CqAPZEmdxXMrxZwVCG5u4ePfHY7+Egzeys0Ia5qtYSN9QD49b8Vk8YusSYO1D0gxevAGDVu5YBBapBKPAvSGeUZxk7sgrDUl+CSxbZLF+3TXXvXy3wnwhkDS/flm79o4rDUjgNlu6O47oPN1PoZ0bCkCZGQ8TAlFw01

I don't disagree with anything you're saying here, but we already have literally hundreds of pages in multiple threads here on R2R over the last month or so discussing the Vibrant issue ad nauseum. I didn't intend this to be yet another thread on that particular product/topic. I was hoping for a broader discussion about FIFRA and how it might be relevant to our hobby / "the industry" more generally.

There is the case you describe where someone might knowingly repackage a regulated pesticide containing man-made chemicals with potentially harmful effects on the environment in a non-FDA approved facility, with inadequate and misleading labeling -- that's pretty clearly a problem on many different levels.

I'm talking about scenarios where relatively benign substances might have specific applications to control specific pests in our tanks, and are used with an "intent" that makes them now all of a sudden technically "pesticides". These situations might be technically a FIFRA problem/issue/violation, but from any practical point of view, there is nothing arguably "wrong" with them.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the limited scenario you are addressing, given the breadth of the definition of pesticide, the one sane course of action is to write to the EPA and ask for guidance before embarking on a business plan to sell a product which will be marketed as an algicide. I would assume a rational response, which in the example you give may be “it’s not an algicide so no issues with us, but you might want to check with the FTC to ensure that you are not making false representations to the public.” On the other hand, they may say, “send us the info necessary to register your product and we’ll process it.” My belief is that the EPA and the FTC do their best to make decisions based on both the letter and intent of the statutes and regulations.

OP
OP
JimWelsh

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, let's consider a more realistic scenario than the extreme hypothetical I gave above.

Say, for instance, that I found that I could effectively kill Vermetid snails in my aquarium by injecting them with lemon juice. Further R&D shows me that a 5% citric acid solution is just as effective, and has a much better shelf life. So, I decide to market bottles of 5% citric acid together with a syringe, and call it "Vermetid Vamoose", and use the phrase "Makes Vermetid varmints vamoose!" on the bottle and in advertisements. It sells like hotcakes, and I make a nice profit, and there are many happy reefers and lots of dead Vermetid snails. I'm pretty sure that would be a FIFRA violation. Now, since citric acid qualifies as a "Minimum Risk Pesticide" active ingredient (https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/f...sk-active-ingredients-tolerances-jan-2018.pdf), I would probably be OK from a FIFRA perspective if I simply listed "Active Ingredients: 5% citric acid; Inactive Ingredients: water" on the label, but if I did that, then I probably wouldn't be able to sell my 2 ounce bottles for $50.00 a pop any more (okay, there's a sucker born every minute, but you know what I mean).

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Spot on.

There’s a right way and a wrong way. I think it’s too easy to think that in a small hobby like this which the EPA likely does not monitor closely you could get away with skirting the law and that doing so will increase your sales because suckers. Hiding your ingredients works better for “supplements” than algicide/pesticides. With supplements you eliminate the EPA risk but retain the FTC risk. And that seems to be much easier to mitigate with vague language.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 16.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 53 43.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back