The Future of the Hobby: Virtual Reef Aquariums

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is always saying how cool it would be to be a fish in our tank for a day. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

A VR setup would allow her to experience that and I could stop wiping her nose and finger prints off the front of the tanks daily. :rolleyes:

girl-4-6-looking-at-fish-in-tank-hands-gandee-vasan.jpg

FlyinAg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unrelated but it would be cool if someone could make some sort of augmented reality app where you could upload a pic/video of your tank and “add” corals to it to see what they would look like before buying etc. you could even go further and add a slider for growth so you can see what something would look like grown in over time.

This. Would be more useful as a tool than entertainment or pure hobby itself.

My interest in hobby flight sims for entertainment stopped when I started flying in real life. Just can't compare to the real thing, and now matter how good, unless it plugs into your brain, a sim will never be as good as reality! However a professional simulator for training is an excellent tool.

BTW, there is a Power washer Simulator now. I thought farming simulator was silly. Shows how ridiculous society has become. Go outside and go farm or power wash for real and make some money contributing to the economy!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unrelated but it would be cool if someone could make some sort of augmented reality app where you could upload a pic/video of your tank and “add” corals to it to see what they would look like before buying etc. you could even go further and add a slider for growth so you can see what something would look like grown in over time.
I agree with this too, if there was an app that allowed you to see what a coral, anemone or any kind of live stock in your tank would look like. Maybe show you how well it would do under your tank settings or other inhabitants? That would be really neat

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The saltwater reef aquarium hobby has grown exponentially in the past decade! With this growth has come more knowledge and with more knowledge has come more responsibility. With the increasing demand for sustainable practices and innovative technologies, what does the future hold for the reef aquarium hobby? What is the the future included Virtual Reef Aquariums?

What if could pop on a VR headset and set up a reef aquarium? What if you could go shop for fish and coral for your tank? What if you could get inside the tank and swim with the fish, adjust your aquascape, clean the tank? This could be the answer for those of you have always wanted a 20,000 gallon reef tank! :p

What do you think about VR Reef Aquariums?

BTW this "musing" is tongue in cheek and I would NEVER want to replace my reef tank with VR. But it might be kinda cool to do for fun too! :p

VR reef.jpg
be fun to try

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't mind a little VR to actually "swim" around a tank and see corals and fish close up. That would be cool. But never, ever as a replacement for the real McCoy. That said, when we have events at our house I'll put a fish video on the TV in the fish room. This is a favorite that plays soothing music as well:

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't mind a little VR to actually "swim" around a tank and see corals and fish close up. That would be cool. But never, ever as a replacement for the real McCoy. That said, when we have events at our house I'll put a fish video on the TV in the fish room. This is a favorite that plays soothing music as well:

True true! Could never replace but would sure be fun!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a lot cheaper and eliminate a lot of anxiety about doing something wrong or worrying about outside events that could crash a system and years or decades of work.
I think riding that edge is what keeps it freah

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw there is an actual aquascaping vr game in development on meta store that allows you to run an aquarium shop and set up tanks. Not sure if it has reef stuff yet but I saw some ciclid tanks that looked amazing!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back