The great bare bottom debate

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Textured black ABS inserts are growing in popularity. Anyone have experience with these? I like the look but cognizant that newer isn’t always better.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had many tanks over the years, and have had large displays with several depths of sand and several bare bottom tanks. Bare bottom is the least maintenance for sure, and they all have their pluses and minuses. However, I will never do a deep sanded unless it's for a certain species of animal. With modern equipment they're simply not necessary. If you're setting up a deep sandbed to reduce nitrates, I'd say to join the world of modern protein skimmers.

I will not have a display without sand again as soon as I revamp mine, only because I don't like the look and because it lowers the numbers of fauna.

Sandbed or lack there of is almost never the determination of the success of a reef. You can have any kind of tank and be successful with no sand, a little sand, or a lot of sand. I say go with what you think looks best. Unless lower maintenance is a priority...

Last edited:

yellow73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to put a piece acrylic in the bottom of our BB tank what would others recommend for thickness only thing I've found locally is only .093 thick. Or does anyone know of a online place that won't charge $200 for shipping. Thanks

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used black liquid rubber in the bottom of my tank. Easier than using abs. Also comes in white to look like sand.

yellow73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used black liquid rubber in the bottom of my tank. Easier than using abs. Also comes in white to look like sand.
Where can you get this liquid rubber and it's not dangerous for tank how was it to clean we are going with FOWLR Tank.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I used for my tanks bare bottom. The thickness fills the void below the black rim of the bottom of my tank (petco).
I used seafoam shade because it looks like white carribean sand and to seal, just created a bead around the inside of the glass to hold it in place since king starboard doesnt join well with silicone and floats.
I think it was less than $70 shipped. I used one single piece since im not looking to ever remove it.
The maintenance is awesome, it hasnt been a full year since i removed the sand and my rocks are still shedding but ill tell you its night and day difference. I was having issues growing coraline algae with the old dirty sand but soon after going bare bottom getting the hair algae outbreak under control with manual removal and 4 large mexican turbos, my coraline absolutely exploded and the corals took off in size and color. Its been much more stable with only live rock as the biofilter. Nutrients easier to control as well. Dont even need a skimmer yet lol.
PS the most amazing thing about going barebottom is the amount of flow you can create and position it towards the bottom to keep the bottom clean. God how i dont miss sandstorms with my mp10s at 50%. Now theyre flowing both at 100% and corals couldnt be happier!
20190726_103032.jpg 20190715_131141.jpg 20190520_184213.jpg 20190311_150212.jpg 20190312_165525.jpg 20190813_101018.jpg 20190811_171959.jpg

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh the debate of sand or no sand. There is no right answer, It all depends on what YOU want as a reefer. Personally I prefer keeping my animals healthy as possible and i have found that my tanks without sand or substrate (Including my FW) have required less maintenance and the animals in them have been observably healthier. Though I would love to keep leopard wrasses I enjoy my corals looking their best. Also don't get me started how nice the black background is for top down shots

yellow73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I used for my tanks bare bottom. The thickness fills the void below the black rim of the bottom of my tank (petco).
I used seafoam shade because it looks like white carribean sand and to seal, just created a bead around the inside of the glass to hold it in place since king starboard doesnt join well with silicone and floats.
I think it was less than $70 shipped. I used one single piece since im not looking to ever remove it.
The maintenance is awesome, it hasnt been a full year since i removed the sand and my rocks are still shedding but ill tell you its night and day difference. I was having issues growing coraline algae with the old dirty sand but soon after going bare bottom getting the hair algae outbreak under control with manual removal and 4 large mexican turbos, my coraline absolutely exploded and the corals took off in size and color. Its been much more stable with only live rock as the biofilter. Nutrients easier to control as well. Dont even need a skimmer yet lol.
PS the most amazing thing about going barebottom is the amount of flow you can create and position it towards the bottom to keep the bottom clean. God how i dont miss sandstorms with my mp10s at 50%. Now theyre flowing both at 100% and corals couldnt be happier!
20190726_103032.jpg 20190715_131141.jpg 20190520_184213.jpg 20190311_150212.jpg 20190312_165525.jpg 20190813_101018.jpg 20190811_171959.jpg
I just got a quote of a $192 for a piece 23" X 55" X 1/2" seems pretty thick. Beautiful tank though. I did check their Acrylic prices can get a 23" X 55" x1/8" for $95 total just not sure would be the best color light or dark blue, black, white the Waterbox already has a black leveling mat.

Last edited:

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@yellowpeople have been using it in ponds for a long time. Once it has dried it is nontoxic to fish and animals.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to put a piece acrylic in the bottom of our BB tank what would others recommend for thickness only thing I've found locally is only .093 thick. Or does anyone know of a online place that won't charge $200 for shipping. Thanks
I bought mine from Grainger and picked it up at there shop so I wouldn’t pay shipping

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What specifically do you use?
How durable is it?
Does coraline algae grow on it?

I am about to set up my 180 gallon tank and I want to go bare bottom but love the look of sand.
I was going to paint the underside of the tank an off white but the rockwork will look like it's floating and I don't really want that.
The tank has an internal overflow and is eurobraced so satrboard is kinda out of the question.
The idea of liquid rubber sounds like a winning ticket.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191117_133950.jpg

Buy a gallon or two and dump it in. It self levels if you buy enough. If you dont buy enough the first go around its ok it will stick to itself if you add more but looks best if you do it right the first time. You might see ripples with each added layer. Yes coraline will grow on it. Needs cleaned just like glass to look its best.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191117_133950.jpg

Buy a gallon or two and dump it in. It self levels if you buy enough. If you dont buy enough the first go around its ok it will stick to itself if you add more but looks best if you do it right the first time. You might see ripples with each added layer. Yes coraline will grow on it. Needs cleaned just like glass to look its best.

You sure???
I remember people asking If flex seal is reef safe and the answer ranged from absolutely NOT to not quite sure.
I've never heard that it "IS" reef safe long term.

Also, how do you clean a flex seal bottom?
I was hoping coraline algae would NOT grow on it. I would much rather have a white bottom than a purple bottom.

Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. It needs to be really looked at before being deemed reefsafe due to its "mold inhibition" properties. As noted in this thread. On a side note, people using it with fish only or in a pond have had no ill effects and the liquid is supposed to be suitable for potable water as it says in this thread too.
My concern would be sensitive corals of course.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the other concern is how well would flex seal liquid adhere to the glass?
What would stop it from lifting up in time?
What would stop it from floating?

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of anyone having issues with the liqiud rubber used today due to the low VOCs. Back in the day they used to be more toxic. To clean it just use the scubber pads you use on your glass or acrylic, the kind with a long handle.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 90 41.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 108 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back