The great montipora slow motion crash....need advice

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever considered doing a Triton test or api test there could be so Many reasons Your water is not right ..doing a triton test has certainly opened my eyes up and helped me get back on track!

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your frustration, but I'm just coming out of Nudis eating my Montis. I never saw them until I started dipping. I was so ticked off, I took all my Montis out, and there still in buckets attached to some Tonga branch , but I won't buy a Monti ever again. I lost 4 frags, and 2 separate colonies that were 6 X 10. I'm going to bleach the branches before they return to the display, but a hard lesson learned

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware that though they're beautiful, sixline wrasses have a reputation for being very aggressive, especially with any wrasses added after them. If you've no plans to add more wrasses (or possibly other small fish, depending on the individual), their beauty and taste for coral pests can make them pretty cool to have around.

~Bruce

True, better luck with a yellow coris wrasse.

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware that though they're beautiful, sixline wrasses have a reputation for being very aggressive, especially with any wrasses added after them. If you've no plans to add more wrasses (or possibly other small fish, depending on the individual), their beauty and taste for coral pests can make them pretty cool to have around.

~Bruce
Thanks Bruce. Good to hear. I have heard they are quite sassy. If you were to suggest another wrasse that does almost as good of a job on pest eating, what would it be?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were to suggest another wrasse that does almost as good of a job on pest eating, what would it be?

I've always had a soft spot for blue-star leopards - would love to have a trio of those in my setup. I've also got a target mandarinfish with an appetite for flatworms as well as 'pods. Not sure how she'd do with nudibranchs, as I've never seen one in my tank. (That having been said, I also have a sixline, the result of one of my son's friends breaking down her tank. He is the last of several wrasses added, and hasn't caused trouble - but he also does a weird display "snap" that makes it feel as though he's swimming the razor's edge of psycho . . . )

~Bruce

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Just saw this. I will check them out!

Yep, I love the coris wrasse, note that mine will eat brittle stars as well, but not enough to hurt the population. I also have a blue star leopard that's a great hunter as well.

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have been dropping my alk down slowly this whole week. 0.1/day. I still need to go another 0.5 to get to my target of 8.0. I did discover that my Hanna was reading 0.5 too low. So my alk was 8.7 and with my low nutrients was probably too high. Also replaced all prefilters and the DI beads. Corals have stabilized. Here are the current pics.

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Round one. Look how happy the LPS are compared to my monties.

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back