!!! The great RECYCLE or, CIRCLE OF LIFE maybe, anyone?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Of course I'm talking about taking our expired sps, and using them to, well bring life to more fortunate pieces if your following me.

Essentially just throwing old acro skeletons in your calcium reactor. lol

Anyone else do this? And if so, do you prepare them in any way, or just toss em in? I do a quick rinse or hit them with my little pressure washer to remove any organics, then let them dry out and add as needed.

I will say this, I have honestly seen an uptick in growth since I started doing this. Compared to just reborn on its own. For what it's worth. and I apologize for the crummy pics I juts screen shot a vid I took for them. lol

Screenshot 2023-07-22 at 11.16.07 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-22 at 11.16.24 AM.png

Andrews_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you only do certain species? I remember Jake Adams saying Pocillipora and other Montis melt at a different rate than Acropora. Have you noticed that?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you only do certain species? I remember Jake Adams saying Pocillipora and other Montis melt at a different rate than Acropora. Have you noticed that?
well I don't really discriminate but. softer skeletons definitely dissolve faster as you might assume. And as a whole they dissolve considerably faster than the reborn.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had heard (Reefing RUmors) that using recycled skeleton would not provide the same mix of elements that you would find in "natural" reef skeletons, hence it wasn't a good idea. Probably just a ploy to promote more name brand products?
Skeleton Perfect Loop GIF

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had heard (Reefing RUmors) that using recycled skeleton would not provide the same mix of elements that you would find in "natural" reef skeletons, hence it wasn't a good idea. Probably just a ploy to promote more name brand products?
Skeleton Perfect Loop GIF
Yeah I can't imagine that would be true. I mean what would really be the difference? If anything, I'd think the opposite may be true.

Another advantage I've noticed is they dissolve at way higher PH. I tried out the triton media a while back. which is especially hard. And I couldn't get that stuff soft till I was at 6 or below. Did not go well actually. These dissolve in the low 7's easily

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awhile back I had a stn event (well three back to back over a couple months) that hit a couple colonies. I fragged off everything I could, so like twenty or so decent frags from each colony. I boiled the dead colonies and saved them for later as the reactor was full at the time. I ended up losing all but a few of the frags I cut over the next week or two. Anyway, They all made it into the reactor eventually. Knock on wood, I haven’t had another event (thank you cipro!) so hopefully I won’t need to be getting rid of any bodies……I would never have thought about this, being as dense as I am, but those jackhole beefers were talking about it awhile back and it just made sense.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back