Maybe a little bit out of your wheel house..

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a little bit out of your wheel house... But you have also been around a while as well. My problem is as follows: These started as a small patch 6 months ago and have now grown a real lot ( to about 3 inch's across ). But now I am getting small patch's of them starting all over my rock work. When blasted, combed, or brushed they go in but they do have a long pretty strong firm tube. Brownish in color and there tubes are so firm and extremely strong.. Please help me as they are going to take over soon.. little colonize are popping up all over now. I did just spot about 4 more colonies that have started very recently. Do to a spawn of sorts. I wish I could get a better decent picture of them... Maybe you have some experience with this problem? Or know about anything about these? I do believe they are not good.. Please help me if you can... Thank you...

20240120_114505.jpg 20240120_114550.jpg

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a little bit out of your wheel house... But you have also been around a while as well. My problem is as follows: These started as a small patch 6 months ago and have now grown a real lot ( to about 3 inch's across ). But now I am getting small patch's of them starting all over my rock work. When blasted, combed, or brushed they go in but they do have a long pretty strong firm tube. Brownish in color and there tubes are so firm and extremely strong.. Please help me as they are going to take over soon.. little colonize are popping up all over now. I did just spot about 4 more colonies that have started very recently. Do to a spawn of sorts. I wish I could get a better decent picture of them... Maybe you have some experience with this problem? Or know about anything about these? I do believe they are not good.. Please help me if you can... Thank you...

Are you talking about the little tube thingies. If yes, I literally tore my tank down and started over because of those little jerks.

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't they just a type of feather worm?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't they just a type of feather worm?
No - as mentioned in the other thread, they're either colonial hydroids or Nausithoid jellyfish polyps (probably from the Nausithoe genus):

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - as mentioned in the other thread, they're either colonial hydroids or Nausithoid jellyfish polyps (probably from the Nausithoe genus):
Oh cause I see those little jerks in the photo so I assumed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Please post pics under white light intensity for clear i.d. as this can be a few different things

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're the devil. They are one thing that kills a lot of mature tanks. Massively invasive in the right conditions. My LFS display tank has been more or less destroyed by them. Most often colloquially referred to as colonial hydroids in the hobby but there isn't an exact consensus on if that's what they are. Also if you have a question like this in the future the hitchhiker and critter forum is more likely to attract the people who know about this stuff.

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're the devil. They are one thing that kills a lot of mature tanks. Massively invasive in the right conditions. My LFS display tank has been more or less destroyed by them. Most often colloquially referred to as colonial hydroids in the hobby but there isn't an exact consensus on if that's what they are. Also if you have a question like this in the future the hitchhiker and critter forum is more likely to attract the people who know about this stuff.
Do you mean that this hitchhiker and critter forum is in reef2reef???

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean that this hitchhiker and critter forum is in reef2reef???
Yeah I would start the post here:

The forum we are currently talking on is the forum for our resident reef chemist Randy!

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, i don't have any special knowledge on how to deal with these creatures.
Thanks Randy... It was worth a shot as you have been both around a while and are the utmost encyclopedia on water that I have seen yet on any site. It's all about water isn't it? Good water, as close as a person can keep it equals a good, solid, reef tank.... Thanks Randy really thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back