Are these invasive? What are these?

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These started as a small patch 3 months ago and have now grown a real lot ( to about 3 inch's across ). But now I am getting small patch's of them starting all over my rock work. When blasted, combed, or brushed they go in but they do have a long pretty strong firm tube. Brownish in color and there tubes are so firm and extremely strong.. Please help me as they are going to take over soon.. little colonize are popping up all over now. I did just spot about 4 more colonies that have started very recently. I wish I could get a better decent picture of them... Maybe some of you have had these before, or know about them? I do believe they are not good.. Please Help

20240120_114505.jpg 20240120_114550.jpg 20240122_124451.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either colonial hydroids, or Nausithoe sp. jellyfish polyps; to my knowledge, they're not invasive (or at least not always), but they reportedly do have a nasty sting for some people:
Edit: Just to add, these may not be tubes at all in a traditional sense - it may just be the hydroid's flesh.

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either colonial hydroids, or Nausithoe sp. jellyfish polyps; to my knowledge, they're not invasive (or at least not always), but they reportedly do have a nasty sting for some people:
I wish I could tell which ones these are for sure colonial hydroids?. Some people have had bad experience's with these if they are in fact colonial hydroids. An extremely hard time getting rid of these. One post said he had a cleaner shrimp take care of them, a few people have been poisoned by them, itchy, swollen, then raw for weeks and weeks. Mine are brownish in color under any lighting at all. Have you experienced these before..?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could tell which ones these are for sure colonial hydroids?. Some people have had bad experience's with these if they are in fact colonial hydroids. An extremely hard time getting rid of these. One post said he had a cleaner shrimp take care of them, a few people have been poisoned by them, itchy, swollen, then raw for weeks and weeks. Mine are brownish in color under any lighting at all. Have you experienced these before..?
No first-hand experience; the dispute is over if they are colonial hydroids or if they are jellyfish polyps - no one seems to be quite sure, and I'm not certain how to tell the difference at this point (I haven't looked too deeply into too many hydroids, and I've barely looked into jellyfish at all). All of the specimens in the links above are thought to be the same species (or at least kind of creature), though it's hard to say for sure.

That said, at this point, due to a few pics I've found on various sites (like WORMS and NOAA), I'm inclined to lean toward believing they're jellyfish polyps.

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No first-hand experience; the dispute is over if they are colonial hydroids or if they are jellyfish polyps - no one seems to be quite sure, and I'm not certain how to tell the difference at this point (I haven't looked too deeply into too many hydroids, and I've barely looked into jellyfish at all). All of the specimens in the links above are thought to be the same species (or at least kind of creature), though it's hard to say for sure.

That said, at this point, due to a few pics I've found on various sites (like WORMS and NOAA), I'm inclined to lean toward believing they're jellyfish polyps.
I will google them and do some reading on them.. Man-o-man they seemed to went through a spawn of sorts... wow. They are multiplying so fast now. Thank you and I'll read a little more..

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish someone would post any of there experiences with these or like these..

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish someone would post any of there experiences with these or like these..
Colonial hydroids were the cause of the only full tank breakdown I've ever had to do...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way... What happened?
They are invasive and will take over everything. So I removed all the rock, did my best to chisel away all the parts of the rocks that had hydroids, put the rocks into a bare bottom tank and observed for a month... Repeated the above for those that grew new hydroids. Probably should have just tossed all the rock in the first place.

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colonial hydroids were the cause of the only full tank breakdown I've ever had to do...
Yea the same thing happened to me. They took over everything and started killing corals. I saved what I could and ended up bleaching all my rock and staring over. Be proactive and aggressively attack them now!

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the same thing happened to me. They took over everything and started killing corals. I saved what I could and ended up bleaching all my rock and staring over. Be proactive and aggressively attack them now!
WOW... How do I begin to attack them?

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW... How do I begin to attack them?

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can pull that rock out I would try scraping them off and then hit it with peroxide. If they start to grow again you can try some kalk paste directly on them. I would hit any random ones with some paste. Be careful with the kalk paste since you will raise your alk if you use too much. It's the ones you don't see that will be a problem. Unfortunately I waited too long to do anything.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought this toadstool a couple months ago and the rock it’s glued on has something that looks kinda similar. Pretty sure they’re hydroids, am now seeing what I think are medusa stage hydroids floating in the column. According to some they go away on their own, nutrient management helps? Hadn’t read of anyone having to shut down their system cus of them until now…

IMG_9227.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought this toadstool a couple months ago and the rock it’s glued on has something that looks kinda similar. Pretty sure they’re hydroids, am now seeing what I think are medusa stage hydroids floating in the column. According to some they go away on their own, nutrient management helps? Hadn’t read of anyone having to shut down their system cus of them until now…

IMG_9227.jpeg
Appear to be hydroids and you can try dip or take rock out and place in a container of tank water and scrape off and return rock to tank

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appear to be hydroids and you can try dip or take rock out and place in a container of tank water and scrape off and return rock to tank
I am starting to find other patch's all over... I can remove some of the rock and try this. But it is about a total tear down of the rock stricter.. gezzzzzzzzzzzzz

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am starting to find other patch's all over... I can remove some of the rock and try this. But it is about a total tear down of the rock stricter.. gezzzzzzzzzzzzz
One method in this situation is to aim flow towards them, not at them and they will starve and slowly wither away
They favor brine shrimp and fine foods

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back