OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought they where kind of cool at first.. Then they just started to explode all over the place.. Someone said that a kalk paste mixture would kill them off? That might be another thing to try as well. Horror story after horror story about people tearing down there tanks because of these, scares the doo out of me..! They will be hard to get to but I will prevail I pray... grrrrrrrrrrrrrr Thank you all... BUT if anyone can ID these for sure, and if anyone else knows what I can do to eradicate these please share as I am sure there are others with these as well... I do not want to loose my tanks..

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought they where kind of cool at first.. Then they just started to explode all over the place.. Someone said that a kalk paste mixture would kill them off? That might be another thing to try as well. Horror story after horror story about people tearing down there tanks because of these, scares the doo out of me..! They will be hard to get to but I will prevail I pray... grrrrrrrrrrrrrr Thank you all... BUT if anyone can ID these for sure, and if anyone else knows what I can do to eradicate these please share as I am sure there are others with these as well... I do not want to loose my tanks..
Also curious to know how to safely get rid of these, there has been a very small patch of colonial hydroids at the base of my leather, hasn't grown at all and it's been a few months but better be safe than sorry...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try smothering them with epoxy. I would guess that would kill them.

I have a few patches of them in my tank. They don't spread quickly, at least they haven't in my case. What I hate about them is if I accidentally brush up against them with my hand or arm while doing maintenance, I get nasty itchy spots where they stung me.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are some strategies I've heard:
I've heard smothering the hydroids with kalk paste may work, but here are some other threads with suggestions that might be helpful:

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if one of those reefdelete uv c lazer like thingys for aiptasia might work

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done the Fenbenzadole treatment referenced in this link. I did a half dose same as the original poster and it cleared up all of the small polyps (mine were BCP). I ran ROX 8 and the skimmer wet after 72 hrs then did a 20% water change as the author suggested. I tired everything, only feeding large pellets, lights off, kalk paste, tuxedo urchin, and copperband, trying not to use chemical methods. None of those worked for me. As stated in the article it will kill your turbo snails (if you have any) and there will be a large die off of worms. Nothing else was affected in my tank, corals were fine, fish even copepods. I am not an expert but after almost 9 months of dealing with them I was at my limit and regret not doing this at the beginning.

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try smothering them with epoxy. I would guess that would kill them.

I have a few patches of them in my tank. They don't spread quickly, at least they haven't in my case. What I hate about them is if I accidentally brush up against them with my hand or arm while doing maintenance, I get nasty itchy spots where they stung me.
I’m the same, in that I have a couple of small patches which haven’t seemingly spread been there for months, I’m lucky though as I dont get stung for some reason and I have struggled removing the tubes bare hand a couple of times.
I do have quite a few digitate hydroids showing up over the last month now so I’m getting a bit worried lol
Does anyone know if they (colonial hydroids) create a root like structure in the rock?

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done the Fenbenzadole treatment referenced in this link. I did a half dose same as the original poster and it cleared up all of the small polyps (mine were BCP). I ran ROX 8 and the skimmer wet after 72 hrs then did a 20% water change as the author suggested. I tired everything, only feeding large pellets, lights off, kalk paste, tuxedo urchin, and copperband, trying not to use chemical methods. None of those worked for me. As stated in the article it will kill your turbo snails (if you have any) and there will be a large die off of worms. Nothing else was affected in my tank, corals were fine, fish even copepods. I am not an expert but after almost 9 months of dealing with them I was at my limit and regret not doing this at the beginning.

What corals were you keeping at the time of treatment? Just for reference :)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if they (colonial hydroids) create a root like structure in the rock?
At least some have stolons that run along the surface of the rock, so it's possible some of it would go into holes in the rock, but I don't know for sure.

It definitely wouldn't be burrowing in/digging in by itself, though, the hole would already need to be there.

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
280 gal 100 sump Mixed Reef. SPS, Euphylia and a large BTA.
Fenbendazole for the win then!
I like that you don’t necessarily have to do an in tank treatment if you are able to remove rocks.
Did you have or notice any die off of brittle stars or other starfish?

Last edited:

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if a lemon juice injection (similar to aiptasia treatment) would kill them? Would smothering them in coral glue work as well?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if a lemon juice injection (similar to aiptasia treatment) would kill them? Would smothering them in coral glue work as well?
Lemon juice, no. Often if you direct water flow towards them and not at them, they will starve and die off as they favor food particles and brine shrimp. I don't recommend fenbendazole in the tank Unless Absolutely necessary as it will each in rocks and sand and likely to kill off some coral some inverts and likely copepods and worms in the tank.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemon juice, no. Often if you direct water flow towards them and not at them, they will starve and die off as they favor food particles and brine shrimp. I don't recommend fenbendazole in the tank Unless Absolutely necessary as it will each in rocks and sand and likely to kill off some coral some inverts and likely copepods and worms in the tank.
You know, I feed this tank heavily (it's coral only for now, but I'll often drop in 2 cubes of coral food and daily and 120 ml of phyto every other day) but it's been two months and I haven't seen any noticeable growth on them. I know for a fact that sea spiders will eat them but I don't want to risk adding any more than what's already (unfortunately) in there.. someone recommended kalk paste but I'm concerned that will fall on my favia colony below...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
And Kalk may alter your calcium and Ph if not regulated but Kalk paste is effective with many pest growths

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back