Kole Tang - white patches/spots?

nyc_love

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any idea what these white patches/spots are on my Kole Tang? He was fully quarantined and went into the DT a little over 2 weeks ago and started developing these patches about a week ago. He's eating and swimming fine and none of the other fish in the tank have these spots/patches so I'm not sure what they are. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any idea what these white patches/spots are on my Kole Tang? He was fully quarantined and went into the DT a little over 2 weeks ago and started developing these patches about a week ago. He's eating and swimming fine and none of the other fish in the tank have these spots/patches so I'm not sure what they are. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Two possibilities come to mind, and they cannot be easily told apart visually:

1) Tangs often get "mucus plugs" as a response to stress. This can be nothing, and go away on its own, or it could be stress from disease.

2) This could be marine ich, and that will need to be treated.

How to tell these apart? It isn't easy. Best thing to do is observe for a few days - the mucus plugs will be in the same location, in roughly the same numbers for days. Ich will show as spots that change in numbers and location over a day or two. Mucus plugs are always on the body, while ich spots will be on the body, but also the fins.

Jay

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue eye kole tang had white spots and I had to treat it in copper. I can’t see your video so I can’t say if it looks like what mine had.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back