OP
NCsalt

NCsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Frag Pics

Duncan and Daisy Polyps opened right up. Neon Crown Leather is unhappy and has not extended polyps.

6546DD6C-682F-4942-A7D3-7C552717842F.jpeg

45014692-3C59-4A1E-99C2-C6A20926DB5A.jpeg

A8A1C1D8-BE7E-4A10-8EDB-F48DAAB12CEF.jpeg
0E81F931-E75F-4E52-B8E2-F57A9C2D7D1E.jpeg

OP
OP
NCsalt

NCsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the Blackcap passed away. I knew yesterday the end was near.

I also learned today that a Possum wrasses can become aggressive as they age. I believe he was going after the Blackcap as it became weaker.

The crown leather is still not opening. Checked my PH and it was low. Buffered it to see if that helps. Other corals look great.

wdwilson9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the Blackcap passed away. I knew yesterday the end was near.

I also learned today that a Possum wrasses can become aggressive as they age. I believe he was going after the Blackcap as it became weaker.

The crown leather is still not opening. Checked my PH and it was low. Buffered it to see if that helps. Other corals look great.
Unlucky with the Blackcap. I am following along as I have a similar setup.

OP
OP
NCsalt

NCsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time. Honestly I’ve been holding off because I had another mishap. A mishap playing with taboo actually. Embarrassed and sad after closely timed losses. I think its important to document failures and successes though.

The most important lesson I think that has come about is that no matter what the overall accepted personality of a species of fish is among the hobby, each fish is an individual and may be the exact opposite of norms.

Case in point my demon possum wrasse. A killer, a fighter, a domineering cute little ****.

Added a beautiful, healthy, expensively quarantined baby 2 inch spotted yellow eye kole tang. (The taboo).

IMG_2954.jpeg

The possum wrasse went for him as soon as he went in the big cave after acclimation. The Tang didn’t back down and seemed to use his tail move to tame the wrasse. It backed off and it seemed they were becoming buddies after the first two days.

However I watched the wrasse in the back corner watching his reflection and practicing the tang tail slice spin move. I am serious. He had never done that before.

Tang was finished with quarantine on a Wednesday. He went in things calmed down. He ate mysis, tdo pellets, and nori from a clip. The possum wrasse followed him all around more like a puppy than aggressor. Pretty sure he got it at night in the moon lights though.

IMG_2959.jpeg

Saturday all was well. Sunday there was a dead tang with tattered fins in the corner of the tank.

This was the beginning of the month. So I have taken a break to calm down and figure out if this really was the spawn of satan in my tank.

I could have just not mentioned this incident but this is part of this tanks journey.

I will be doing another update very soon to show how i know without a doubt I have one of the meanest possum wrasses I’ve ever heard of.

Stay tuned.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Im in the process of upgrading to a 50g tank. Basically your tank but a few inches taller. If you ever make it to Charlotte I can recommend Queen City Corals and TRSC aquatics. Both have a huge selection of super high quality coral. QCC usually has trochus snails also. There’s also Nemo’s reef and The Fish Room, they both have quality livestock along with a decent selection of coral.

OP
OP
NCsalt

NCsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. The possum wrasse is a bully.

The Plan
A Stocking attempt to compete with this bully attitude and reduce it enough to have a reef fish community.
Attempt to disperse the aggression with numbers.
Add fish that are hardy and defensive.

The crew:

Springeri Dottyback

IMG_3018.jpeg

Striped Fang Blenny

IMG_3011.jpeg

Harptail Fang Blenny

IMG_3014.jpeg

These fish are awesome.

They have handled the possum wrasse well, but his aggression has been apparent with everyone.

Springeri takes the brunt as he is in the same general area as the wrasse, but the wrasse challenges the blennys and they don’t care for it. Sand dive bombs from them.

Hopefully the wrasse settles. He turns a very deep rust color when being aggressive. His spots basically disappear he becomes so dark.

Everyone:

IMG_3019.jpeg

IMG_3006.jpeg

Its day 5. Everyone is eating well. The Wrasse is always seeking attention.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCsalt

NCsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 8

Aggression has reached a whole new level. Just when I thought it might work. The Possum wrasse chases the dottyback everywhere. Waits for him any time he goes into a hole. They circle each other in circles until one strikes and the chase is on. Rinse Repeat. The dottyback has scored a pretty good wound, by clipping the possum wrasses bottom rear fin. One of the ones that helps him hover. Its crazy how violent the wrasse continues to be. I now have no doubt he is the reason both the Blackcap and Tang died. My fish guy says he will sell the wrasse for me on consignment, and will even take back the dottyback as the violence is spillling over to the blennys too, by both parties.

Ugh Gotta figure out how i'm going to catch these things.

OP
OP
NCsalt

NCsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friday FTS:

IMG_3034.jpeg

Aggression was less today. Dottyback launched some long range attackes when possum wrasse was looking the other way.

The striped blenny seems to cross the wrasse dottyback battles like C3PO and R2D2 cross lazer fire on a diplomatic mission to Alderran.

OP
OP
NCsalt

NCsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to keep fight club. I’ve seen marks on Possum and a split fin on the dottyback but nothing life threatening. Everyone eats and do regular fish stuff when not fighting.

However, I just got back from my first Expo…

Scrambled Eggs
IMG_3077.jpeg

Slattered Hammer
IMG_3075.jpeg

Octospawn
IMG_3076.jpeg

Orange Peel, Cotton Candy, Black Knight Torches
IMG_3074.jpeg

The center third tank shot.
IMG_3078.jpeg

And I tried to get a Radiant wrasse but I wasn’t fase enough. So I decided how about a hardy sand sleeping wrasse that can sleep away fight club.

IMG_3082.jpeg

Out on the second day and eating.

There are also a seasons greetings monti, a pretty blue Devils hand leather, and some WWC Bizzaros that I haven’t got good shots of yet.

Figuring out daily calcium and alkalinity numbers right now for a two part (hand for now) dosing regiment.

I got an IM Helio Smart heater that is E5 messaging me and stopped heating my tank. (To get more consistency) Been using it a week. Had to put the thirty dollar fluval back in.

OP
OP
NCsalt

NCsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are going smoother with the fish. The addition of the yellow “coris” wrasse seemed to change the dynamics. He went from only coming out of the sand in the afternoon to pretty much being king of the tank.
Some more coral pics.

WWC Bizarros
IMG_3094.jpeg

Season Greetings Monti

IMG_3095.jpeg

My leathers
IMG_3096.jpeg

OP
OP
NCsalt

NCsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dottyback disappeared after last weekend. Possum wrasse likely scored another victory. Things seem peaceful in the tank currently.
IMG_3098.jpeg

The harptail blenny enjoys resting on the devils hand leather.

The yellow coris wrasse gives the tank a nice pop even at distance.

My Duncan has 4 new heads on the way. Its been doing awesome. Someone kicked sand up on it going to sleep Thursday. I hit it with turkey baster. Hopefully I got it all off and it will open fully again.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks like you loaded up at the expo, nice finds! I was hoping my 50 would up and running by the time of the expo but oh well. Your tank is coming along very nicely.

OP
OP
NCsalt

NCsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS:
IMG_3157.jpeg

I have been battling hair algae and cyano. A lot was syphoned out on water change day before this pic.

Things have been relatively peaceful. Based on how the possum wrasse reacted to rock territory based fish like the blackcap and dottyback, I think any other fish with these kind of territories are out of the question.

So no gobys that defend a hole or rock perching blennys or hawkfish.

I want some wider shaped fish to round out my stocking. So considering a Bangaii cardinal, dwarf angel, baby bristletooth, or fathead anthias. Too bad the sunburst seems difficult to keep long term, as they were stunning when I’ve seen them in person. Probably do 2 out of the above at the same time.

Plan on letting the tank mature some more first though.

OP
OP
NCsalt

NCsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a bit. Lets do an update.

Cyano war appears to be mostly won. Finally used some chemicals. Had some flow issues as my Xstream wireless went down and took a while to trouble shoot.

Lots of hair algae and now even diatoms. Whew! Yay reefing lol.

FTS from this week.
IMG_3241.jpeg

Some growth and overhead shots.

IMG_3227.jpeg

Mmm some plating going on with the seasons greetings.

IMG_3229.jpeg

Duncan multiplying heads and taking a dump.

IMG_3226.jpeg

Splattered hammer just looking plump.

My Jester Torch (sold as “orange peel” but has white mouth) looks like its trying to split and has gotten big and aggressive.

IMG_3230.jpeg

Don’t look at sand yuck.

New fish as of yesterday:

IMG_3245.jpeg

Randalls Goby.

Watch out for that Possum Wrasse dude!

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great progress so far! Weird the possum has been such a bully. I always thought they were peaceful. No way I thought they would take on a Kole tang. Having a tang now would help a lot with algae too, are you still considering kicking the possum out?

OP
OP
NCsalt

NCsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seriously considering getting rid of the possum. If he had went after my new goby he would have been gone already. But so far he is ignoring the goby and the goby is eating at feeding time. Boy is he pretty.

I am extremely gun shy now with Tangs. First my beautiful Kole and then I had a quarter sized Blue hippo commit suicide on the wave pump. Just her belly fit. Ugh terrible. I have seen some 50 cent sized Tomini's I wanted but the ones my guy gets who handles by quarantining are usually at least 3 inches.

My guy has a beautiful small Splendid Pintail Wrasse that has been in quarantine for 4 weeks. He told me I should get rid of the possum and take the Pintail. One of his maintenance clients has a tank with a bunch of other wrasshole fish and has been wanting a possum. Apparently he has a really mean Royal Gramma. I am confident in my wrasses ability to take on any takers. Very tempting.

I want a baby tang I really do but I feel terrible about my past mishaps.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back