The little acro that could...kinda

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only acropora that is actually growing in my tank. I have a few others that are just laying dormant. For about 3 months this slimer has been very slowly receding from the base. A few weeks ago I broke the tip off moving some rocks around. It seems the receding has since stopped and the broken tip has healed over. I see new growth all along the main branch. My question is...Will the tissue ever grow back down to encrust into the rock? Or does this need to be fragged so it can encrust? Does it need to encrust in order to thrive?
E50CAA49-8656-4E74-8A19-FEAAFD54A485.jpeg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like its STN. And usually will not recover as is. If it is STN It will keep going.

I would recommend snapping/cutting the entire acro at the good tissue (leave some left behind so you get a clean margin) and placing it on a new frag disc to inhibit encrusting growth.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,this is the one you broke tip off 10 days?ago completely healed over :)

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi ,this is the one you broke tip off 10 days?ago completely healed over :)
Yes it is. Seems it was longer than 10 days ago but you’re right! It’s never been so fluffy in its whole life with me!
thanks @WIReefer and @Saltyreef!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you know what you could do, is cut at base ,lose 1/8 "of live tissue at bottom,glue to sm pc of live rock ,flat ,dead center,top would be exactly what i see in post 1 ,would be facing up ,will encrust and start sprouting upwards as a colony;)do it..;Woot;Woot;Wootreg gel super glue,is a slimer ,dab rock dry at glue spot and dab glue spot on slimer rt before setting..let sit dry for 10 min just sprinkle lil water over both rock and frag every 2 min,make sure is set before dt:cool:

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know what you could do, is cut at base ,lose 1/8 "of live tissue at bottom,glue to sm pc of live rock ,flat ,dead center,top would be exactly what i see in post 1 ,would be facing up ,will encrust and start sprouting upwards as a colony;)do it..;Woot;Woot;Wootreg gel super glue,is a slimer ,dab rock dry at glue spot and dab glue spot on slimer rt before setting..let sit dry for 10 min just sprinkle lil water over both rock and frag every 2 min,make sure is set before dt:cool:
I’ve not fragged anything before. Little scary to me to be honest. :D idk. Might have to wait until Monday when my littles aren’t running around like maniacs. I’ll look for fragging videos in the mean time.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well......... I so happen to have one in the same boat! What a coincidence!

16FD8998-5ED8-4A1D-B6B0-DADAD4C92674.jpeg

So mine got shaded by one of the Toad monsters and I moved it as soon as I saw it.
It lost tissue mid point. Now I know this wasn’t from RTN as it was shaded pretty bad. Could it have developed RTN? Who knows.

It’s doing a crazy “base” thing at mid section and encrusting below. I’ve had it like this for........... 6 months now. I’ve thought about fragging it so it doesn’t look this way, but I’m curious to see what it does.

Yours, if it’s not RTNing and was slow, I’d say it was shading as well.

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So mine got shaded by one of the Toad monsters and I moved it as soon as I saw it.
It lost tissue mid point. Now I know this wasn’t from RTN as it was shaded pretty bad. Could it have developed RTN? Who knows.

It’s doing a crazy “base” thing at mid section and encrusting below. I’ve had it like this for........... 6 months now. I’ve thought about fragging it so it doesn’t look this way, but I’m curious to see what it does.

I’ve not thought about it being shaded. Maybe it was and I didn’t realize it. And yes, it was very very slow. Like 3-4 months to lose less than a half inch of tissue. It seems to have stopped since I damaged the tip so I hope it stays that way.
Very interesting how yours decided to encrust in midair ;Hilarious Is it also a green slimer?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not thought about it being shaded. Maybe it was and I didn’t realize it. And yes, it was very very slow. Like 3-4 months to lose less than a half inch of tissue. It seems to have stopped since I damaged the tip so I hope it stays that way.
Very interesting how yours decided to encrust in midair ;Hilarious Is it also a green slimer?

Bali green slimer acro, yes.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only acropora that is actually growing in my tank. I have a few others that are just laying dormant. For about 3 months this slimer has been very slowly receding from the base. A few weeks ago I broke the tip off moving some rocks around. It seems the receding has since stopped and the broken tip has healed over. I see new growth all along the main branch. My question is...Will the tissue ever grow back down to encrust into the rock? Or does this need to be fragged so it can encrust? Does it need to encrust in order to thrive?
E50CAA49-8656-4E74-8A19-FEAAFD54A485.jpeg

How are they doing

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are they doing

3 waiting ;) :p:cool:
It has stopped receding! not a whole lot of growth but it’s still very bright with good PE. I’m working on bringing my parameters back in line...no nitrate, low alk and high calcium and mag. Considering the hard time it’s had in my tank; I’m shocked it’s even alive. It’s for sure a trooper!! My other acros have all perished except one other that has not shown PE in months though it’s not dead. Love this green slimer!
Thanks for asking @CCauthers! My parameters being out of whack is probably what caused all this in the first place.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 84.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back