The long ride home - thoughts on transporting?

seastar

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 12, 2015
Messages
679
Reaction score
758
Location
St Johns, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there!

I am planning for my trip to Reef-a-Palooza in Orlando in 8 days and there is 0 chance I'll get out of there without falling in love with a handful (or lets be honest probably 20+) corals. I think I'll probably stay the night one night and then drive back to my home about 2 hours away, so how can you keep everything happy? Bubbler? Bring a small header? Styrofoam cooler? Looking for some past experience and tips/tricks that helped people be successful getting everything home

Thanks!
 
A Styrofoam cooler and a heat pack should be fine. Might be alright without the heat pack depending on temperature. 2 hours isn't that long.
 
Hello there!

I am planning for my trip to Reef-a-Palooza in Orlando in 8 days and there is 0 chance I'll get out of there without falling in love with a handful (or lets be honest probably 20+) corals. I think I'll probably stay the night one night and then drive back to my home about 2 hours away, so how can you keep everything happy? Bubbler? Bring a small header? Styrofoam cooler? Looking for some past experience and tips/tricks that helped people be successful getting everything home

Thanks!

I have done a few cross country trips with both corals, fish and inverts.
Fish where kept in buckets with bubblers. Corals both in styro containers and buckets.
The only issue I ran into is prolonged trips had a negative effect on sps. Oh and if you place a box or bucket on the floorboard of the car make sure that the exhaust doesn't heat it up. I learned that one the hard way..
For an overnight stay you should be good with the styro container.
 
A Styrofoam cooler and a heat pack should be fine. Might be alright without the heat pack depending on temperature. 2 hours isn't that long.
I'm thinking about spending the night too so the heat pack is probably a good idea since the a/c quell be running.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 34.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 23 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new