The METROpolitan: Kat's New Journey

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas, and what a Christmas it was.
smile.png

Introducing Front Facing Starphire Drop-Off Aquarium:

The METROpolitan.

By MODE Aquariums.

wub.png

31477475320_499105fb0d_b.jpg

I wasn't planning on it, and then this happened. If you recall I wrote an article on MODE's drop off peninsula, a tank I sadly turned down for various reasons. MODE said we heard you don't want a tank wider than 36 inches. This is nearly the same footprint as my current tank 36X24X20 so I'm really happy that I can continue to use the light that Dave built for me. It is 2 inches taller and violates my soaking armpit rule but how could I say no to this beauty. Volume wise I believe it is 55G so a tad more than my current tank.

Finding aiptasia in my current tank on all those rocks and branches that I used to create height may have been fortuitous because I am ditching nearly all the rock that doesn't have a coral on it. With the natural shelf that this tank has, the height I need is built right in.

31040385853_fed302029a_b.jpg

I'm still not sure how to aquascape this - it is challenging with a capital HOLY MOTHER OF CORALS! But one that I am looking forward to. I might have to try to cajole Johnny Ciotti for some advice. Were I starting from scratch with frags, I probably would have an easier time, but I have colonies - my babies that I have grown for 2 years in the current tank, and many that I have had for 4-5 years.

I've been looking at the drop-offs out there and I love the cascading look. That's so easy to have happen with softies. I made that YUUGE magnet attached dong with the SPS on it - where is that doing to go?!

I am going to install a Reef Octopus Modular sump instead of the one that comes with this tank. It has repositionable baffles and it's just a simple open space. I have some new equipment and things to try out and having a compartment restricts the usage. I was actually going to put the RO sump in the the current tank - after taking the fuge offline as I was planning, the custom sump became limited in it's use.
Thank you to Mode Aquariums for making my Christmas.
wub.png

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ohh Ahh! Looking forward to this one! Congrats on the new tank!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have followed each of your builds so far, so I may as well follow this one too. :rolleyes:

That is one sweet tank! Let the awesomeness begin!!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, a lot of possibilities. Lucky girl. :D

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 68 46.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back