The Mindstream is DEAD!! I'm getting mine soon!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@mdbannister do you have any clue as to what the costs are supposed to be? Unit and subscription?
What I read as I placed the order said something like $34.95/month, but I got the impression that there will be different subscription options.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I read as I placed the order said something like $34.95/month, but I got the impression that there will be different subscription options.
Thanks ;)

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No matter what, it seems like an awesome piece of technology that will be amazing to try! :):D
Thanks! I'm very excited! :D :D :D I'll let you guys know as soon as it arrives!

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I updated my post with more explanation.

They claim that the disk has to be changed every 30 days, due to algae growth, hence they will LOCK your units test ability. I think that is VERY sketchy, and the explanation is insufficient.

They say algae grows on the disk and the results get worse over time. That makes sense to me.

Why does it mean day 30 is the “set point” for forcing consumers to buy another disk?

Surely my tank with 0 nutrients grows less algae than someone else’s filthy tank.

Their are clear holes in Mindstreams claims, that seem (to me) to be an attempt at making more money.

Let’s say I put the unit in RODI. They will still lock my unit at 30 days- even if there is zero algae growth.

I would love if they joined the forum so I could ask! I consider myself an informed skeptic. I look for things that “don’t make sense” in advertising and business practices. That’s just how look at new tech, and it’s up to the company to explain otherwise. I don’t just chug the advertising Gatorade, haha

(I was just as skeptical about the trident minimum dosing interval. After talking to many people, it seems like that “makes sense”)

"VERY sketchy" like having a tester that wanted new reagent with 1/3 of it still left? ;Dead Just a joke, couldn't help it!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"VERY sketchy" like having a tester that wanted new reagent with 1/3 of it still left? ;Dead Just a joke, couldn't help it!

Agreed! My solution is to just reset the reagents remaining, and then it tests for 2-3 more weeks with no apparent issue :).

Different from here; when they electronically lock you out of the unit after 30 days ;) (without a new disk)

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! My solution is to just reset the reagents remaining, and then it tests for 2-3 more weeks with no apparent issue :).

Different from here; when they electronically lock you out of the unit after 30 days ;) (without a new disk)

What a wonderful "feature" for equipment you are not renting but actually own! Regardless, so many testing options, what a great time to be in the hobby.

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won the Mindstream at MACNA back in 2015, and the wait has been long, but I'm super excited to announce that Step Ahead Innovation is now sending out the units to those of us who won raffles and backed them on kickstarter! I've got my order in, and I'll be stoked to be one of the first to receive a working unit! The report is that the Mindstream will soon be available for purchase to everyone!

Just wanted to share my good news! :D :D

I got the email as a backer and just purchased yesterday. I am very excited and can't wait. It's been a while but glad they are now ready to ship soon

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first I have heard of this testing equipment I will have to check it out.
But I don't like subscriptions. Sorry but its not the same as purchasing reagents. Yes reagents need to be replaced, but that can be done on your terms when you need them.
If they do lock you out, as the info in this thread states then that's even worse.

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monitor
$995.00
The revolutionary MindStream Monitor conveniently, reliably, and accurately monitors 10 water parameters with one compact device. Monitor results are displayed in real time via the easy-to-use MindStream web app. Includes a second sensor disc for free. Each monitor requires a subscription.

SUBSCRIPTION (REQUIRED)
  • Access to real-time monitor data
  • Historical data trends and graphs (up to a year of history)
  • Real-time alerts when parameters are out of range
  • Replacement sensor disc mailed every month
Subscription plans start at $34.95/month and will be purchased within the MindStream web app after you have received your monitor.

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ease of Use

• Hands off, no nonsense, all in one compact device
  • No noise, liquid reagents, pumps, tubes, or toxic liquid waste
Parameters Measured

10 water parameters
Carbonate Alkalinity*, Calcium, Magnesium,
Salinity, Temperature, pH**, Oxygen,
Carbon Dioxide, Ammonia***, Potassium

Measurement Frequency

Nearly continuous
  • Ten parameters, every 15 minutes
  • 960 measurements/day total
  • 1/8 cent/measurement
Installation

• Connect monitor to WiFi/cloud, place in tank or sump
  • Minimal wait time for initial use
  • No tubing installation, no user calibration, no large footprint requirement
Consumables & Maintenance

• Replace small sensor disc shipped monthly with subscription
  • No liquid reagents
  • No maintenance, no tubing replacement
Tank Water & Liquid Waste

• Located in the tank or sump
  • Consumes no tank water
  • Generates no toxic liquid waste
Calibration

• Monitors & discs are individually factory calibrated and require no user calibration
Precision

• Carbonate Alkalinity*: +/- 0.1 dKH
  • Calcium: +/- 4 ppm
  • Magnesium: +/- 15 ppm
Controller Integration

• SAI will offer automated doser control in the near future
  • Wireless controller capability is already built-in with the latest IoT protocols
  • SAI is developing partnerships with key aquarium equipment providers for controller integration

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't provide any information about access to our data other then "apps and web site". I want a product that provides some kind of open monitoring protocol like Prometheus so I can work with and use my data as I wish. It will be interesting to see how this progresses but the FAQ entry from the failed Kickstarter campaign (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/859739753/mindstream-aquarium-monitor) said this:

SYSTEM COMPATIBILITY: Is the MindStream monitor capable of sharing data with Apex controllers? Will it ever be compatible with Apex controllers? Will there be an open API to get the system data?
We are currently devoting our development resources to getting our first MindStream monitor to market. The first version will not be integrated with other systems, including Apex controllers. We will certainly consider the merits of working with other aquarium tank system providers, including Neptune Systems, to provide integration down the road. If we do decide to provide integration with Apex controllers down the road, these enhancements would be implemented in the cloud-based infrastructure and no modifications would be required to the MindStream monitor itself.
Remarkably, they don't even bother to answer their own FAQ question about an open API to get system data.

Its a cool technology. It will be interesting to see how it will develops but it certainly is not beating Triton on price.

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already run a trident but the 30% off code I was sent makes it tempting. sounds like they are developing or integrating with a doser

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read my post, you would see exactly what I think the difference is :). I am not complaining about the price- just their (possibly; theoretically,) unusual system.

They claim that the disk has to be changed every 30 days, due to algae growth, hence they will LOCK your units test ability. I think that is VERY sketchy, and the explanation is insufficient.

Bottom line---They worked on this product for 6 years and they raised 7 million dollars to develop it. It's going to take a while to make that money back, and I doubt they will ever break even with a budget product.

https://www.vermonttechnologyallian...undbreaking-Water-Technology-to-Consumers.htm

I'm grateful they stuck with it for so long, and I am willing to live with the monthly fee if that is what it takes. They also did 15 months of beta testing and have decided that the balance between being viable as a business and keeping reliable readings with detritus and algae etc..., and no necessary maintenance, is the 35/monthly subscription. If you think that is "sketchy" then don't buy one. I'm going to try it out myself.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Features and benefits sound great. But, it is a high risk purchase imo. New company and only a single product to sell. Similar to reefbot. These are just 2 factors that would keep me from being an early adopter. If they don’t sell enough in the first couple years they will go out of business and shut down the monitoring site also the replacement disks won’t be available. I’d recommend going with Apex or GHL who are both proven companies for 20yrs with multiple product lines, internet platforms, customer service, etc if you are risk averse.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 61 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back