The New JBJ Nano RL 30 gallon rimless

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to post a pic of this beauty. At it's price point it's very hard to beat! Looks really nice, twin overflows and town return pumps with enough flow that you don;t need a powerhead. I paired mine with the new JBJ Unibody 54w L.E.D, which is also a great light at the price (and better than Cree L.E.D.'s).

2012-03-04_18-06-40_312.jpg

killereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank that I bought 2 weeks ago and love it. The only problem I had was that the two pumps was taking turns either stop working or rattle really loud. I spoke to Ken at Aquatic Critter and he made a call and they are going to replace the two pumps. I was looking into buying the same JBJ LED but decided to build my own.

Last edited:

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the 8 gallon version for my clownfish breeding pair. Pretty cool set-up / I have been pleased.

OP
OP
andywe

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pumps will rattle if they are too close to the front wall. I noticed that but it was because there was not enough head space for the impellers. I just move them more to center and no cavitation or bubbles being sucked in.

killereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I flipped mine every which way, left right and still rattles or stop working until I stick my hand in and shake it around until it stop rattling or start working. I have to do this at least 4 to 6 times a day

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
She is a beaut!

nyknicks4412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any chance of getting some pics of the sump area? or some demension measurements! trying to figure out what is going on back there.

nyknicks4412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try and take some tonight after work. It's really quite nice having the dual chambered overflow with baffles on either side!

That would be amazing! If you could tell me the lengths that would help so much. I am wondering with the dual chambers can you put a skimmer in one side and a heater and probes on the other? Or will the water levels vary too greatly in these chambers. What do you have running in the back?

OP
OP
andywe

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell you dimensions until next week when I do a water change and remove the overflow inserts (sponge, carbon, and another item if you want...easy removal for cleaning)..it's full and operational and in place. You can stick a small nano skimmer in the return chamber, however the dual pu,ps may not let most go low enough. The AquaticLife nano skimmer fits, but is a 1/2 too tall. The Tunze Nano skimmer would fit though. I know it's rough but was hard to get far enough away to capture the entire thing..just too wide for my phone.

Each side has an overflow that drains at the bottom, then a baffle that spills over 3/4 the way up from the bottom into the center chamber which house 2 return pumps. I have another one of these on order and will get it within 3 weeks. JBJ is out and most dealers are sold out all over the country. My LFS has 36 more on order, and Fosters and Smith only had 50.

Here are some pics:

2012-03-28_16-46-16_957.jpg
2012-03-28_16-46-23_827.jpg
2012-03-28_16-46-30_345.jpg
2012-03-28_16-46-37_725.jpg

nyknicks4412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice thanks for that...looks like a good setup. for the dimensions just looking for a width of each chamber in the back to see if my hob skimmer will fit or not. its a reef octopus bh-1000.

killereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two overflow compartment is 4.5" x 4.5". In those chambers, it contains to rectangle boxes for media, bout 2" x 4" x 6". The next chamber or where they put the next baffle is a 2" x 4.5" chamber (two of those). the middle is 8" x 4.5"

OP
OP
andywe

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep....I was toying with buying 2 but got there right after you. Not worried,,I have 5 nano's and the new RL will be replacing a JBJ 28. I already bought the JBJ Unibody L.E.D. for it so have 2 of those hehe.

killereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol....nice. I was going to buy the JBJ Led lights fixture, but decided to build one myself. I want a certain color look, so I bought a kit from RapidLed kit and added more leds and a High noon kit and heat sink from ReefLedlighting. I bought different temp white and blue bulbs. 8 cool white and 4 neutral white XP/G, 10 blue XP/E and 2 royal blue XP/E, 6 royal blue XT/E, 2 red XP/E, and for the high noon 6 cool white XML. Also, most of the Leds while have 60 degree lenses, 80 degree on the XT/E and the high noon while have Carclo lenses. I dont know how its going to look. Two ELN60 48D meanwell dimmable drivers and one 40 1660mA Inventronics dimmerable driver. Man, I hoping this will look right and this is expensive. What was I thinking....^%$#

Last edited:
OP
OP
andywe

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, for those interested in this tank, do note one thing about the stand!

First, it came with absolutely no directions...not hard to figure out IF you have put together these kind of stands before.
Second, the manufacturer did NOT drill pilot holes for the door hinges on either side all of the stand. This means you have to drill them yourself. Here are some tips for that as you can screw up your stand if you don't think it through.

Door tip 1: Put the hardware onto the doors first, then before stand assembly lay down the sides (ensure which panel is what side and what the top orientation is).
The doors are not to be centered...align them just slightly below the top, line up, and mark your pilot hole locations. When you drill a pilot hole, DO NOT go all the way through the board or you will have holes on the outside visible portion of your stand.

JBJ screwed the pooch with these and the rep did not know if they fixed that. My stand was free and my LFS advised me of this from their experience setting up their own display. If your paying for this stand and it is the same you may opt to choose a different stand option.

OP
OP
andywe

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol....nice. I was going to buy the JBJ Led lights fixture, but decided to build one myself. I want a certain color look, so I bought a kit from RapidLed kit and added more leds and a High noon kit and heat sink from ReefLedlighting. I bought different temp white and blue bulbs. 8 cool white and 4 neutral white XP/G, 10 blue XP/E and 2 royal blue XP/E, 6 royal blue XT/E, 2 red XP/E, and for the high noon 6 cool white XML. Also, most of the Leds while have 60 degree lenses, 80 degree on the XT/E and the high noon while have Carclo lenses. I dont know how its going to look. Two ELN60 48D meanwell dimmable drivers and one 40 1660mA Inventronics dimmerable driver. Man, I hoping this will look right and this is expensive. What was I thinking....^%$#

Nice. I investigated that but the cost was prohibitive for the performance. Cree isn;t what they once were. A good friend owns a lighting company and he happens to Rep Cree in his shop as well as some others. the JBJ fixture uses better L.E.D.s and was cheaper, not to mention plug and play so I opted for that. Plus, in May when the Wifi option comes out I can dim them from my iPhone and it's 79 bucks for the update to them. The JBJ Unibody L.E.D. Driver is plug and play for almost any 0-10v dimming controller...was just too good an option set for me to pass on.

zambono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at these, no reviews out yet. Does it have a stand?

killereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it comes with a stand but it is black vinyl laminated particle board. It doesnt look sturdy, but does the job. One will have to assembly the stand unless, like me, I bought it from my local fish store. Right now, its going likes hot cakes

Last edited:
Back