OP
OP
andywe

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A note on the stand. It does do the job, however there are no directions, and the stand sides were not pre-drilled for the door hinges. If you have put together nano stands before you'll get it, but be advised that the doors mount flush to the bottom of the top and not centered. it is easiest to mount the door hinges on the doors, then lay the side flat and butt the door against the edge of the stand side and mark your holes. VERY IMPORTANT: When drilling the pilot hole (1/16" bit), DO NOT drill all the way through or you end up with a hole visible on the side of your stand.

zambono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those with nuvo rimless are trying hydor nano skimmers with success

mapn4reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andy, let's see updates on your JBJ 30s. I almost bought one today at AC, they have several in stock. However, they are no longer carrying the stands, instead, one of the guys there is going to be building stands for them, uncertain on them at the moment as design/price. I won't mention the name, but one of the very reliable guys there just put it plan and simple, "their stands for this tank are junk..."

Are you not using a skimmer in the back? It's a sweet looking tank for sure

mapn4reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy does a good job of showing off the light.

[video=youtube;KLQWo4wiYiI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLQWo4wiYiI[/video]

Last edited:

Adam.Jackson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JBJ is contracting out to an American company/carpenter to produce "made in the USA" solid wood (no assembly required stands) available in a few different finishes, those along with the Unibody 108 and wifi upgrade should be out by summers end.

mapn4reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JBJ is contracting out to an American company/carpenter to produce "made in the USA" solid wood (no assembly required stands) available in a few different finishes, those along with the Unibody 108 and wifi upgrade should be out by summers end.

That's awesome...thanks for the info, now if I can only muster up the patience... Now where's that tape measurer and left over two-by-fours?

jdaven22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that are looking into skimmers for this tank, wait on the new Tunze 9004. It will fit perfectly in the large rear chambers of our tanks and is a supposed upgrade over the 9002-which has to mean good news. Should be out in a couple of months.

Adam.Jackson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really interested in seeing that tunze model on the 28 NC and the 30L, but if you don't mind the "non-flush" look and are in a hurry there are several CPR and Aqua-C models that operate just fine hanging off the back of the filtration chamber so long as you keep an eye on evaporation/water level. JBJ does have plans to offer it's own skimmer eventually but no timeline on that yet.

Adam.Jackson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John the 108 was built specifically for the 30RL, the 54 watt does not give enough coverage in the edges if you're looking to keep shallow water hermatypic corals in all areas of the tank. The 54 Unibody would be more appropriate over a cube say the size of the JBJ 24/28 gallon. [Again I don't represent my company here, this is a personal account and I want to adhere to the forums strict no commercial advertising rule (I hate spammers too) but I feel it only fair to you guys that I disclose that I work for JBJ's parent company and that is how I know the product line]

OP
OP
andywe

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a user of the 54 I can attest it works just fine and does cover the tank adequately. It is not the "end all"but nothing would be..you would have to design your own for your particular use.

I worked for Microsoft for 0 years..doesn't mean I know everything about computing.

I will take some pics after the holiday weekend. The tank is doing great!

Adam.Jackson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course the 54 watt will illuminate the 30RL completely, that's not the angle (literally) I was speaking from. The 54 watt in my initial quantum flux readings does not show adequate cover in the edges for those wishing to maintain hermatypic (shallow waterSPS) throughout the entire tank. The 108 will cover a broader area due to not only being larger but the lens it is equipped with. The question of "what will work" is subjective depending on the type of photosynthetic cnidaria or bivalves you wish to keep. Again the 108 was designed SPECIFICALLY with the 30RL and tanks of it's dimension in mind. As far as as my employment, it is not my only qualification when speaking regarding husbandry but thanks for the "dig." :angel:

roblshan2000

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about getting one of these for my kitchen counter. Anyone have full shot pics of the back and the dimensions of each chamber of it? Thanks

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got mine delivered from the Marineland Cyber Monday sale. I was expecting a taller stand but it's nice enough particle board. The holes in the stand are now drilled for the doors. Still no instructions though. Glad I have muchos Ikea experience. :tongue:

I'll get some pictures and measurements of the back chamber tomorrow.

Back