The New Wet Work Reef

Wet Work

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I certainly hope all of you and yours are well and safe, navigating this madness safely.

After an unpleasant hospital stay with acute saddle pulmonary embolism, I decided it was time to dive in to a new personal build that will be used for testing various methods, lighting and additives. The display from Jeffrey Acuff at Planet Aquariums will be a rimless 36" x 30" x 27" tank all in ¾" glass. The display will sit in a corner. Since I prefer a clear back panel, the overflow and black vinyl will be on the right end.

- Custom luminaire by Steve Tappert at AcroOptics
- Additional lighting by Orphek and Radion G5
- Extruded aluminum stand by Framing Tech (this arrived yesterday and I hope to have it completed today)
- Sump, ATO reservoir, dosing vessels by Crystal Reef Aquatics
- Return pump by Abyzz
- Internal circulation by Tunze
- Control and monitoring by GHL Profilux, KH Director, and ION Director plus peripherals
- Reef structure by Korallenwelt

I look forward to everyone's comments, suggestions and criticisms. Even though I have been at this for a very long time, there is always a great deal more to learn.

Happy Reefing,
Sam

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening Sam,

Sorry about the illness. Hope recovery is on track.

Tank sounds great. You have some high end tech coming in. Wondering what skimmer you went with.

Can‘t wait for pic to statt.

OP
OP
Wet Work

Wet Work

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening Sam,

Sorry about the illness. Hope recovery is on track.

Tank sounds great. You have some high end tech coming in. Wondering what skimmer you went with.

Can‘t wait for pic to statt.

Hi there Mastiffrule,

I appreciate the kind words. Already back to CrossFit, so the recovery is going well.

The skimmers I’ve used on builds for clients have typically been Bubble Kings internally or MRC Orca Pros externally.

This time, I’m seriously considering the 1000i from Deltec because of its tiny 5.5” x 8.5” footprint and it’s all white/clear construction. It’s significantly less expensive than a BK for this size system and it’ll leave room in the skimmer chamber for an additional peripheral should I choose to add one.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in love with the structures by Korallenwelt! Noted!!! Looking forwards to this new setup and am very happy to hear you're in good health now! Stay safe!

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really excited to see you on the forums and am looking forward to seeing this build come together- Reef301 is one of my favorite builds (the LSS and plumbing layout is so clean)

What are your stocking plans? And any trick pump/powerhead placements planned?

Just in case people aren't aware who OP is, he is the man behind this tank: https://reefbuilders.com/2018/03/22/beverly-hills-reef-tank-is-completely-custom-made-video/

WHAT?!? When I first saw this video, the #1 item that caught my attention was the rug!!! I always bring it up to my partner then I proceed to show her on DWR. Excellent excellent excellent piece. Would love to see what other art, both furniture and more, you have @Wet Work

Wait, edit: Is Sam the constructor or the owner of reef 301?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m following along for the ride! Interested in what your korallenwelt structure will look like. Stay healthy and take care of yourself and welcome to the forums!!

OP
OP
Wet Work

Wet Work

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHAT?!? When I first saw this video, the #1 item that caught my attention was the rug!!! I always bring it up to my partner then I proceed to show her on DWR. Excellent excellent excellent piece. Would love to see what other art, both furniture and more, you have @Wet Work

Wait, edit: Is Sam the constructor or the owner of reef 301?

Hi there tsouth. Sam (me) is the designer and installer of Reef 301. But if you really dig that rug, I can ask my client where he acquired it.

OP
OP
Wet Work

Wet Work

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m following along for the ride! Interested in what your korallenwelt structure will look like. Stay healthy and take care of yourself and welcome to the forums!!
Thanks so much TriggerFinger. I’m excited to be here! I’m going to try to get to the reef structure this week since the tank is supposed ship on or about 6/11.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there tsouth. Sam (me) is the designer and installer of Reef 301. But if you really dig that rug, I can ask my client where he acquired it.

Hey Sam, ty for the heads up! No worries on that rug - I had already known of it, and was just cool to see it in person. It's always one of those "window shopping" items I would see when perusing for furniture.

Looking forwards to the reef structure this week!

OP
OP
Wet Work

Wet Work

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really excited to see you on the forums and am looking forward to seeing this build come together- Reef301 is one of my favorite builds (the LSS and plumbing layout is so clean)

What are your stocking plans? And any trick pump/powerhead placements planned?

Just in case people aren't aware who OP is, he is the man behind this tank: https://reefbuilders.com/2018/03/22/beverly-hills-reef-tank-is-completely-custom-made-video/

Gee, poomba, such kind words. I honestly haven’t given animals a lot of thought yet, other than my decision to only purchase tank-raised specimens.

As on Reef 301, I’ll be using Tunze Streams — this time 4x 6095s — painted to match and carefully nestled in the Korallenwelt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wet Work

Wet Work

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I know I promised them "sometime this weekend" but if I was referring to next weekend, I'm early. ;)

Many thanks to Chris at Framing Tech for getting my order out as quickly as he did, particularly given current circumstances. Assembly was quick (about an hour and half) and I'm thrilled with the final product. It's beautiful and rock solid.

61324051279__75C2F6AB-6DAB-4F25-9BBA-65BF034644BD.JPG

61324054252__661E5B5D-FA2E-4094-A51F-29F7C276250E.JPG

OP
OP
Wet Work

Wet Work

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Smuggrin;Happy;Joyful YEEEEEEEE! Many thanks to Jerry, Bryan and team at Planet Aquariums.

All packed up and ready for delivery next week!
fullsizeoutput_6074.jpeg

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gaaaaaame tiiiiiime! I must also reinforce that TSlot stands are just the bees knees. I love mine and it feels good knowing I can repurpose it when upgrades come. The modular look and sturdiness are excellent.

OP
OP
Wet Work

Wet Work

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1591982404326.png

This is the interlayer I plan on using for the front and left end panels on the stand. It will be sandwiched between a clear resin layer on the outside and a translucent layer on the inside with an opacity of 50% (image is a 96 x 48" sheet). Color of inside layer is as yet undetermined but most likely will be clear. Slats will be oriented horizontally as shown and will attach using Button Connector Type 2 where possible magnets where equipment positions exclude their use.

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you use Korallenwelt vs Aqua Roche or other ceramic rock product? I've seen it in a few of your builds now.

OP
OP
Wet Work

Wet Work

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple answer: aesthetics. I find it more appealing than other ceramic products which is, of course, solely my subjective opinion.

From a professional standpoint, I’ve been working with Torsten for over a decade now. He knows exactly what I expect and hits the mark every time.

Check out #Reef524 on our IG page @wetworkusa. There are a couple of videos of that reef with the setting sun behind it before the tank was filled.

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any US retailers/distributors for Korallenwelt? Or would a reefer have to import it themselves from Germany?

I'm really intrigued by the idea of using ceramic panels/equipment chambers to hide a Tunze Comline filter + heater in the corner of a nano tank to create a countertop tank with no visible equipment

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 62 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.2%
Back