The online aquatic business..getting into the game according to the Fellman School of Business...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Scott I'm currently in the process of doing my business plan for setting up my shop in Australia. I was starting to waiver on the idea as it's quite daunting setting up from new! Your write up is inspirational and has got me back on track for that I thank you!

Get on that track! The industry/hobby needs people with drive and passion!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent write up Scott, I hope you don't mind if I add a little something.

Take your time and don't bite off more than you can chew, the last thing you want is your commercial venture to drain away the passion for the hobby.

I am lucky, as a grizzled veteran I still get lost for hours staring at our corals, make sure that however you approach commercial selling that you retain your love for reefing.

Excellent advice that everyone should heed! And you're absolutely right about having to develop some "separation" for the hobby and business...It can be so easy for the "biz" part to sap out the passion that made you get into things in the first place..!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up. The best advice for anyone looking to get into this is take it very slow and find out what your consumer market is. We started with a single 30 breeder tank and very slowly expanded from there.

Love that...And super useful to really think about just "what" your market is...So many potentially good businesses went south for lack of a solid market definition...

Thanks for the reminder!

Scott

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate how kind you've been with me. I think most would have dumped me as a potential customer at this point...but all I get here is encouragement. I like it a lot. <3

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only true failures in life are the ones that do not try. You can start up a business and fail for any number of reasons. But if you never even tried and you wanted to you failed yourself. Do you want to live life saying what if? Or do you want to say I gave it all I had every day.

My first attempt at a business left me in excess of $80,000 in debt. It took me about eight years to pay that off. No bankruptcy, I paid that off in full with interest. Without asking for help or crying about it too much. When I started my second business my wife refused to support it and threatened to leave me on numerous occasions( with justification). We struggled very much over the years just trying to get off the ground. It took ten years to get to a point where I could take a modest paycheck. Honestly it will probably take another ten years to recoup what I have invested in the business. I in essence have bought myself a job. Most would have given up on it a long time ago. But after ten plus years of struggles I have something I am very proud of. It will never make me a millionaire but it has filled my life. My wife and kids have a roof over their heads, kids have food on the table and our bills get paid. There is nothing left at the end of the month but I feel like the richest man in the world. I have fulfilled a dream and if the bottom fell out tomorrow I have done what very few people in this world can achieve. I do not measure success financially. My success is in knowing millions of hobbyists all over the world have something I made with my hands in their tanks. To know I touched lives and made the industry better. Knowing no matter how small one man can make a difference. I helped spawn other hobbyists into successful business owners and not just in this country and that through my products we have made a positive impact on the coral industry and helped to reduce wild coral collecting and helped to make aqua-cultured coral more affordable for everyone. That is something no one can take from us.

I guess I look at it like this. If you try and fail at least you tried. If you fail to try you fail yourself. But if you do not give it 100% you will fail. If you are hesitant when you go in you will probably fail. If you are not confident in yourself you will probably fail. If you are doing it only for the money you will probably fail. NO matter how smart or how well together your business plan is you will probably fail. But at least you tried and that big what if factor is something I didn't want t live with. And if you think you get laughed at for your ideas or what you want to do. Try explaining a frag plug to someone. I was a running joke for years at my "other job".

Honestly if I look back on it all none of it was worth it financially. I made a lot more money doing other things. At one point I think I went three years without a day off. I haven't had a day off since driving home from Macna last year......if you can call 20+ hours of driving a day off. But every life I touched and every smile I put on someones face makes the struggles worth it.

Do it or don't do it. But do not have any regrets. Treat people how you want to be treated. Treat every customer like they are your number one customer. That ten dollar sale from one hobbyist is just as important as the $100 sale from another. Because that ten bucks could be all that hobbyist can muster up in a week or month. And they are willing to give that to you.

AsphaltPays

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only true failures in life are the ones that do not try. You can start up a business and fail for any number of reasons. But if you never even tried and you wanted to you failed yourself. Do you want to live life saying what if? Or do you want to say I gave it all I had every day.

My first attempt at a business left me in excess of $80,000 in debt. It took me about eight years to pay that off. No bankruptcy, I paid that off in full with interest. Without asking for help or crying about it too much. When I started my second business my wife refused to support it and threatened to leave me on numerous occasions( with justification). We struggled very much over the years just trying to get off the ground. It took ten years to get to a point where I could take a modest paycheck. Honestly it will probably take another ten years to recoup what I have invested in the business. I in essence have bought myself a job. Most would have given up on it a long time ago. But after ten plus years of struggles I have something I am very proud of. It will never make me a millionaire but it has filled my life. My wife and kids have a roof over their heads, kids have food on the table and our bills get paid. There is nothing left at the end of the month but I feel like the richest man in the world. I have fulfilled a dream and if the bottom fell out tomorrow I have done what very few people in this world can achieve. I do not measure success financially. My success is in knowing millions of hobbyists all over the world have something I made with my hands in their tanks. To know I touched lives and made the industry better. Knowing no matter how small one man can make a difference. I helped spawn other hobbyists into successful business owners and not just in this country and that through my products we have made a positive impact on the coral industry and helped to reduce wild coral collecting and helped to make aqua-cultured coral more affordable for everyone. That is something no one can take from us.

I guess I look at it like this. If you try and fail at least you tried. If you fail to try you fail yourself. But if you do not give it 100% you will fail. If you are hesitant when you go in you will probably fail. If you are not confident in yourself you will probably fail. If you are doing it only for the money you will probably fail. NO matter how smart or how well together your business plan is you will probably fail. But at least you tried and that big what if factor is something I didn't want t live with. And if you think you get laughed at for your ideas or what you want to do. Try explaining a frag plug to someone. I was a running joke for years at my "other job".

Honestly if I look back on it all none of it was worth it financially. I made a lot more money doing other things. At one point I think I went three years without a day off. I haven't had a day off since driving home from Macna last year......if you can call 20+ hours of driving a day off. But every life I touched and every smile I put on someones face makes the struggles worth it.

Do it or don't do it. But do not have any regrets. Treat people how you want to be treated. Treat every customer like they are your number one customer. That ten dollar sale from one hobbyist is just as important as the $100 sale from another. Because that ten bucks could be all that hobbyist can muster up in a week or month. And they are willing to give that to you.

Excellent write up Scott I really enjoy reading your post!

Very Well said Gooch!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up Scott!

As I read that I was thinking to myself how important many of those points have been to our approach. I especially liked the part about jumping in and just "doing it" as you explained in #3!

When I left the police force after a decade to "make fish food" all the small minded folks who were afraid to ever take a risk in their lives predicted I would flop and come crawling back. Most of them are eating their words as we passed our two year anniversary on July 11th. Not only did we not flop, but my wife left her career in nursing last November to help with our explosive growth.

I dont know anything about the coral game, but I can tell you that my experience honesty, integrity and transparency have been a key facet to our business. Like you mentioned, tell people what you are going to do and then DO IT!

The only thing I would add above is that in this current economy folks should be prepared to fully fund their business for the first two years. In my experience very few banks are loaning money for small businesses. You can walk in with profit and loss statements, positive cash flow, real estate assets, high credit score, etc and banks will turn you down. It really boggled my mind last year to see how many hoops a growing business owner needs to jump through to get a simple line of credit. It makes you wonder why this economy is so slow to recover...but I digress.

It is nice to see you share your insights with the folks on Reef2Reef!

Thanks,
Larry

[/[email protected]

Excellent point! The economic realities are super important...the old joke about "spending a large fortune to make a small one" comes to mind..LOL

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 132 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back