The perfect residual NO3 to grow algae is…

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A detectable one…

seriously is there any difference between having 1ppm nitrates and 50ppm nitrates same goes to phosphates is there a difference between having 0.001ppm or 1.9ppm can algae really grow faster with higher concentration of Po4 and No3.

I don’t believe that to be true, we always have a detectable nitrates and phosphates (at list we should) if algae or coral was really able to assimilate faster those nutrients in higher concentration the same would happen in lower concentration. That doesn’t seem to be a trend.
don’t take me wrong I’m not saying that algae and other photosynthetic organisms can’t use nitrates and phosphates just that the concentration won’t affect the speed of growth in either algae or coral.

So is it higher nitrates and phosphates allowing the algae to grow faster or is it something else? ;)

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all about surface preparation, allelopathy, and planning ahead, Sixty.

Okay, so, in most tanks, the live rock/dead rock substrate could be compared to soft loam when first placed in the tank, as far as what will grow there. Perfect layer for grass, in our case, grass is algae...

Coralline algae could be viewed as asphalt in this analogy.

Lets call nitrogen and phosphorous compounds rain collectively.

1673562907283.png

Pictured above is a dry rock tank with no surface preparation, to algae, this is a freshly plowed field.

No allelopathy, no competitor. Just space to take root. And oh yeah, it'll take root.

1673563069471.png

This is asphalt with a couple of divider strips. Still space to grow grass, but not enough to let it dominate.

Now we come to the rain analogy.

So, assuming even drainage, the grass is going to grow wherever it can, it can't take root IN the asphalt, but over time, it will push further into any cracks, allelopathy at work, algal competition. But because asphalt does not 'drain' as easy, the grass has an advantage. The more rain, the better it grows, and the more it can push it's way between the cracks in the asphalt.

For some tanks, the 'asphalt' is a biofilm that algae doesn't prefer. Most of the time it's coralline, and if the tank is a lush jungle, you're probably going to have to do some surface preparation to lay down coralline, and have it stick. Just like making a parking lot... for corals.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good thought. I have a NPS tank hooked to my main display. I have very high N and P because of the feeding required to keep them alive. Algae does not seem to grow any faster than when that tank was pod breeding tank.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Okay, so, in most tanks, the live rock/dead rock substrate could be compared to soft loam when first placed in the tank, as far as what will grow there. Perfect layer for grass, in our case, grass is algae...

1673562907283.png

Pictured above is a dry rock tank with no surface preparation, to algae, this is a freshly plowed field.

No allelopathy, no competitor. Just space to take root. And oh yeah, it'll take root.

1673563069471.png

This is asphalt with a couple of divider strips. Still space to grow grass, but not enough to let it dominate.

So, assuming even drainage, the grass is going to grow wherever it can, it can't take root IN the asphalt, but over time, it will push further into any cracks, allelopathy at work, algal competition. But because asphalt does not 'drain' as easy, the grass has an advantage. The more rain, the better it grows, and the more it can push it's way between the cracks in the asphalt.

For some tanks, the 'asphalt' is a biofilm that algae doesn't prefer. Most of the time it's coralline, and if the tank is a lush jungle, you're probably going to have to do some surface preparation to lay down coralline, and have it stick. Just like making a parking lot... for corals.
Has that ever been a better answer to a question? After all the money I’ve spent, I’m sad to say the purchase I wish most I could go back on would be to start with all live rock. All my levels have “followed suit” and I feed normal and run skimmer and chaeto, but I still fight the algae. Not to mention sponges and lack of CUC that I have not specifically ordered and included In the ecosystem. I’m looking at u brittle stars

I am a sucker for a good analogy and metaphor, I mean I’m a huge Brandon Sanderson fan so it’s in my blood. Pin this answer, shout it from the roof, or from the bottom of the sea, for all to hear

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1673562907283.png

1673563069471.png

Great analogy, introducing photosynthetic photosynthetic organisms to compete

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good thought. I have a NPS tank hooked to my main display. I have very high N and P because of the feeding required to keep them alive. Algae does not seem to grow any faster than when that tank was pod breeding tank.
My thought is simple, everything in our systems is competing for the most easily assimilate forms of nitrogen and only use nitrates as a last resource. Meaning that high or low residual no3 and po4 don’t make much difference into algae or coral growth

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back