The pipefish question... (regarding flow and fish compatibility before getting a pair)

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

A week or two ago I've seen 2 pipe fish at my LFS, blue stripe kind from the genus: Doryrhamphus
So if I buy the 2 together I'd get 20% off which I think is a very good deal.
I'd like to buy the 2 but I am not convinced that I should get them,
What to know:
-They are rather small, about less than 5cm (2 inch)
-They eat 1-3 pieces of artemia/feeding - they are not skinny
-They are agressive against eachother in a 5-8g tank at my lfs
-one is usually hiding

About my tank:
55g (about 200l)
-5 fish
1x Lyre tail anthias - only territorial against my clownfish, and the anthias won't eat artemia so no competition with pipefish
1x Fire goby
1x tang - peaceful giant
1x damsel - usually territorial with my clownfish
1x clownfish

Rockwork:
3-4 overhangs which I know that pipe fish love
-> the tank is now 1,5 yrs old, with tons and tons of micro fauna
Flow:
Jebao SLW 10 on max in wave mode
AC tunze 9025

->strong at the back low-mid in the front

Corals:
LPS/softies - no anemones allowed setup

What's you'r opinion?
Should I get the pair? I'm also interested in trying to breed them too, I heard that they are easier than most fish.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people keep seahorses and pipefish together as they're compatible and have the same feeding/flow requirements. In theory they should be ok; the only fish that raises a yellow flag might be the damsel or goby, but I'm not 100%.

OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people keep seahorses and pipefish together as they're compatible and have the same feeding/flow requirements. In theory they should be ok; the only fish that raises a yellow flag might be the damsel or goby, but I'm not 100%.
The... goby why the goby ? Damsel is okay, he/she is rather passive more like defending his 4cm2 teritorry.
I am more afraid of the anthias, like the anthias eating them because they are tiny and thin (for reference the anthias is around 7cm in total length)
But still why the goby ?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The... goby why the goby ? Damsel is okay, he/she is rather passive more like defending his 4cm2 teritorry.
I am more afraid of the anthias, like the anthias eating them because they are tiny and thin (for reference the anthias is around 7cm in total length)
But still why the goby ?
I don't think the anthias will eat them. I was more thinking the firefish may enjoy chasing the pipefish.

OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah they are very passive and incredibly timid, comes out during feeding times.
I'll make an acclimatisation box for each!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have same opinion as above, normally they would go into a species tank, since they are not really a "reef" fish. This is the only real piece of advise anyone can give.

But if you've done your due diligence, and you do seem convinced they will be fine in your tank, then its your decision.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair for close to two years in a reef. They CANNOT compete with more active fish for food. They are slow and methodical eaters that get fed at least twice a day. Mine breed constantly but the fry are so tiny that they do not survive.

OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair for close to two years in a reef. They CANNOT compete with more active fish for food. They are slow and methodical eaters that get fed at least twice a day. Mine breed constantly but the fry are so tiny that they do not survive.
Interesting, have you ever tried to set-up a breeding tank for them ?

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, have you ever tried to set-up a breeding tank for them ?
They are in a 25 year old, fifty gallon reef. The only other fish are a yellow assessor and a small saddled blenny. So basically they can breed all they want. They breed all the time but the fry are microscopic.

OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to get them, the next day.
However I mentioned a red flag, one is hiding the other doesn't and has a nipped tail fin.

They are in a 25 year old, fifty gallon reef. The only other fish are a yellow assessor and a small saddled blenny. So basically they can breed all they want. They breed all the time but the fry are microscopic.
Did you cover you'r wavemakers by any chance?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping them since they appeared in the hobby. They spawn pretty regularly but if you put 2 males together one may kill the other. Sometimes 2 females don't get along but don't fight like males.

Your tank seems much to new to keep them as you really don't have to feed them because they eat pods like mandarins. They will eat anything very tiny but normally find all the food they need.

You can clearly see the pregnant male here and you can also see the 3 curved "spikes" on his snout.

They seem to live 6 or 7 years and are very cool.

ant60578

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to get them, the next day.
However I mentioned a red flag, one is hiding the other doesn't and has a nipped tail fin.

Did you cover you'r wavemakers by any chance?
How are they doing?

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. First off. Buy only one because it seems one is bullying the other. These are territorial towards their own species and males will fight with other males like Bettas fish facing off each other. I once had a single one and added another blue stripe. They circled each other and started nipping at each other. Soon the loser went into hiding and died of stress and starvation.

These are flag fin pipes and can swim in the water column Though they prefer medium flow to low flow. Mine did well in a mixed reef.

These can also be “ cleaner fish” and pick off parasites off damsels , tangs. And other fish. But only if the other fish recognize this mutualism relationship.

OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. First off. Buy only one because it seems one is bullying the other. These are territorial towards their own species and males will fight with other males like Bettas fish facing off each other. I once had a single one and added another blue stripe. They circled each other and started nipping at each other. Soon the loser went into hiding and died of stress and starvation.

These are flag fin pipes and can swim in the water column Though they prefer medium flow to low flow. Mine did well in a mixed reef.

These can also be “ cleaner fish” and pick off parasites off damsels , tangs. And other fish. But only if the other fish recognize this mutualism relationship.
Hi.

Never knew about the cleaning behaviour of pipe fish. In the future I defenitely want to keep them. Good info, thank you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back