The Reef Legends difference on phytoplankton!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ReefLegends

For all your phyto, rotifer and copepods needs
View Badges
Reaction score
Okay bear with me, I'm not educated on the forum or thread topics, so any help would be appreciated. Ive spent maybe 10 hours or so ever on reef2reef or other forums. So if I'm not doing something right let me know, I can catch on quick with a little advice.

One of the more frustrating parts of ordering phytoplankton is shipping and finding strains that are sustainable to culture. Ive grown phytoplankton a few times before this adventure, finding the supplies that are needed or asking for advice/guidance can be a challenge. What works for some doesn't work for others, sometimes not all the info is given. The point of this hobby is to share information, to help further along our industry success.

While I started to acquire phytoplankton strains, it's been hard to find clean cultures that aren't contaminated. There are plenty of companies that sell single strains that have bacteria, random other cells or unhealthy cultures that won't take and allow you to be successful.

The single strains I offer have a guarantee to be viable and will take off when cultured correct. The site also offers fertilizers and silicate water that we use and the amounts that we use. Hopefully soon, I'll have a video of how we blend the phytoplankton strains and show the density of each strain. Our blended bottles are not the green bottles you see running around and while they have a green tone, there are strains that color the bottle a brownish color. I have a microscope that checks the blends after 3 days to make sure that not one strain has taken over while being refrigerated. Each strain is harvested and chilled before mixing into the blends. I don't sell blended bottles passed the week they were made. If blends aren't your thing single strains are available, Ive started to harvest phytoplankton strains Monday-Wednesday and Isochrysis galbana is harvested every day to feed our Parvo pods.

There are 3 copepod strains that we offer, you can buy them in mixed bottles or single culture strains. Our tisbe cultures have a small amount of Apocyclops pods as our cultures we started with had Apocyclops as hitch hikers. Our Tisbe cultures are becoming more tisbe slowly with sieving weekly and refrigerating the juvenile Tisbe to kill off any apocyclops pods that were in the culture.

If you check out our instagram/tiktok or Facebook page, you can find our current copepod harvests and what our bottles are filled with each week. If you don't see a video shoot a text over to 801-901-0970 and I'll send you what I have harvested.

I know that buying phytoplankton, copepods and rotifers for your Aquariums can be expensive, if you want to culture your own ask away, I want you to succeed.

Check out the site at rlutah.com and this weeks awesome deal is 11 Species Phytoplankton/Rotifer & 2 Pod blend Tisbe/Apo a 16 ounce bottle of each will set you back $45 and a 32 ounce bottle of phyto/rotifers and 16 ounce bottle of pods is $55. Sign up for our mailing list and get an extra $10 off your purchase. This weeks special.

If you live on the west coast area, orders ship UPS Ground if you live outside the 2 day ground rates orders are shipped UPS 2 day arrival and we do have a live arrival guarantee on the site. If an issue arises let us know and we will credit your account via a reward for the issue or reship the item Monday-Wednesday.

All phytoplankton/live food orders currently over $40 ships for free, this promo will end on December 1st 2023, free 2 day shipping will happen at $60 at that time. We ship inside an insulated box liner, with ice packs when needed and inside a Styrofoam cooler when the delivery zip code is above 100 degrees or higher.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefLegends

ReefLegends

View Badges
Reaction score
I have to say I’m blown away but the website traffic from you guys! I was waiting till Sunday to drop this but I’ll drop it early. Spend $60 on live phyto, rotifers or combo deals and get a free bottle of apocyclops pods. Please add an 8 ounce bottle of apocyclops pods to your order and check out using code R2R and score a free bottle. There is a limited amount that can be claimed.

Here’s a look at one of our apocyclops cultures. We grow our apocyclops at 1.023 salinity and they are grown in clean sterile saltwater that’s never been contaminated by aquarium water.

Apocylops culture and bottles

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Glad to see you made it!
Just to let everyone know my experience with @ReefLegends has been amazing! I still have rotifers reproducing from product I bought at coral farmers market from the middle of summer. Since adding rotifers to my tank my polyp extension has been crazy! I have some Golden Rod that the polyps are so big you can barley see the "Gold" in the "Rod"!
Skylar I think you should post that pic of your green slimer that looks like a tennuis!
Anyway this is great! It reminded me I need to place another order this weekend.

OP
OP
ReefLegends

ReefLegends

View Badges
Reaction score
Glad to see you made it!
Just to let everyone know my experience with @ReefLegends has been amazing! I still have rotifers reproducing from product I bought at coral farmers market from the middle of summer. Since adding rotifers to my tank my polyp extension has been crazy! I have some Golden Rod that the polyps are so big you can barley see the "Gold" in the "Rod"!
Skylar I think you should post that pic of your green slimer that looks like a tennuis!
Anyway this is great! It reminded me I need to place another order this weekend.
Oh I love your name on here!! Are you coming to the CFM in Anaheim October 22nd.

I’ll post both my green slimmers here and on the website once I finally take some decent pictures.

I’m glad your rotifers are doing well and you’ve gotten better polyp extension on your corals even in your golden rod.

OP
OP
ReefLegends

ReefLegends

View Badges
Reaction score
I am going to try and be there. It’s my birthday weekend, I don’t know what the other half has planned as of yet.
If you bring your tangerine Speedo I’ll bring my black Speedo. I’ll buy you lunch and we can show off our Speedo bodies. If I haven’t told you I was a lifeguard back in the day and I wore my red speedo during early morning aerobics for the old ladies. How I never got fired for the shenanigans I pulled I’ll never know.

Theres an old lady that is forever engraved in my head, as a 16 year old boy at the grocery store with my high school friends, Grace came up to me and said Skyler you look so different with your clothes on…. Well thanks Grace so do you….

OP
OP
ReefLegends

ReefLegends

View Badges
Reaction score
Here’s a sample of how the boxes are shipped and with 2 day arrival with UPS. I’ll probably jinx myself by saying this but I haven’t had a bottle of phytoplankton leak or have the cap come off in shipping. Boxes are packed to retain temperature and if your in an area over 100 degrees for the daily high your package gets shipped via a pro pack styrofoam cooler.

Single strains get harvested first and each strain has their own container and funnel that’s been bleached and sanitized with alcohol before use.

Attachments

• IMG_4631.jpeg
    IMG_4631.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4632.jpeg
    IMG_4632.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4634.jpeg
    IMG_4634.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4633.jpeg
    IMG_4633.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 33

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back