The rock wall is coming down, Am I prepared?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t do a build thread (have a 10 year old tank), so I am doing a demolition thread so to speak.

When I put up my tank I did the standard rock wall. the wall contributes a lot to dead spots which helped my current Dino problem take hold. It also forces all th fish forward limiting swimming room (180 tank)

I am going to rip it down and rebuild. Pulling all my rock and coral into buckets. Have 60 gallons of salt ready to go and reactor full of carbon. Been running metrosorb to rid any hanging around alloys

I would like any advice in case I am missing something:

There is gonna be tons of detris and nasties behind the wall even with my CuC. Hence the water and carbon. Anything else that may be stirred up or I should have ready?

Your thoughts on pull my gravel, go bare or new sand? Would a diatom outbreak be started from new substrate and outcompete the Dino on this old a tank?

Lot of the rock has palys (more like 99%:)). If I turn over some of the rock with paly will the die off releasing toxins? Hence the carbon and for the Dino’s.

I am thinks of putting the rock in brutes with fresh mixed salt water and some big pumps to blast the detris off before going back in? Yes?

Probably gonna have left over rock, put in sump or store for later use?

Thanks for your time and ideas.

9F311309-D95A-44AB-BDCD-A46B927B34AC.jpeg FD42D6B5-EF60-419B-B05C-27E3E5F78A23.jpeg FE514115-D6CA-4C31-A16B-AEFE40837EB7.jpeg

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always a fan of a sand bed because I like the creatures who use it. But that is entirely up to you. Have fun! I can't wait to see what you decide to do with it. :)
Aquascape.gif

Thanks.

Side note, you kill me with you Giphs. I always laugh, and they keep getting better is what I don’t understand .

Thanks again..

upload_2019-4-17_17-39-47.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It sounds like you have a pretty thorough plan. I personally prefer a thin sand bed, but there are lots of different approaches to aquascaping, just like there are lots of approaches to landscaping...

SimpsonsLandscaping.gif

...so figure out what works for you and more importantly, what works for your fish. I look forward to following your progress - good luck!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been prepping for my reset for tomorrow as well. Water being made right now and tools gathered up.

I'm switching out rock that is covered with palythoas and are choking my acros. I have plenty of rock in my sump for this. Using a masonry drill bit, I will be drilling the new rock for fiberglass rod. Got that ready.

I would definitely place any unused rock in the sump. Run some GAC in conjunction with a water change after.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use them, still have not figured out how to do the words, but still, yours kill me.
I'll message you about this later today when I get the chance. I'm on my way out the door. You will become a master giffer. ;-)

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been prepping for my reset for tomorrow as well. Water being made right now and tools gathered up.

I'm switching out rock that is covered with palythoas and are choking my acros. I have plenty of rock in my sump for this. Using a masonry drill bit, I will be drilling the new rock for fiberglass rod. Got that ready.

I would definitely place any unused rock in the sump. Run some GAC in conjunction with a water change after.

Check in on @Flippers4pups on his progress.

I started mine, sort of. I am going to gut the DT down to bare bottom Sunday including gravel and then-rebuild. I will leave the fish in. I think the stress of catching them would be worse then leaving them and being careful.

I have..

-2 brutes of salt mixed for temp and salinity and buckets and containers for the coral and rock.
-Got 130 lbs of sand and rinsed it since I don’t need the bacteria bed and I don’t want a cloud when I refill..
-large ziplock bags. I am putting the rocks covered with palys in them to avoid any potential toxin issues
-Lots of towels, prime in case of ammonia spike, skimmer running full tilt and tons of filter floss and blue pads. Carbon in reactor
-Scrapers to get all the algea and Dino I can get out now while empty,
-idea of how I want the rock scape once it goes in
-Sump ready for spare rock.

It’s the end of an era, bye to the rock wall. RIP 2008-2019

CE663AF5-5CCE-40A3-A2BD-9B2CD55EA15A.jpeg
5319ED7A-3F18-4AC0-8C7D-D22169398C39.jpeg

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4.5 hours. Sands changed, waters changed, waiting for water to clear up to finish rock work and done

67AE1DCF-DF9E-480A-8914-E1A9A7F0A401.jpeg

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa that's a lot of work, but it appears you're making some nice headway. When you're all finished you'll have to update your "demolition thread" with additional info about your reef; sump, filtration, lighting etc. Might have to get you a few sticks from the frag rack ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back