OP
S

saltwatercube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I got a second clownfish over the weekend. It was from the same store from the same clutch so I knew that if there was any lingering bacteria or disease that was not presenting itself, they would both have it from being in the store together. Both fish get along well and swim together often, but also have their own preferred areas to hang out in. The new fish has only been in my tank for three days now, but he behaves a little oddly. His color is great, his appetite is great, and he has no visible signs or symptoms of disease. He is gorgeous and has great fin growth and looks super healthy. The only thing he does that concerns me is when he hangs out in the back corner.

He likes to go to the back corner of the tank under the filter grate and swim parallel to the wall (not touching it) but swim over and over again in the same spot for hours. He's not touching it or itching himself, just swimming parallel. It's bizarre. He's a good swimmer and has no issues with buoyancy, but he seems to get in a trance doing it. Then, he will randomly stop and swim around like normal. I think the flow is strong there and maybe he like swimming against it? I have tried shutting the filter off and he'll either swim away or keep on doing the same thing. I also lowered the flow thinking it was too strong, but he still persists. I don't have a powerhead, just an output of water in my cube that circles around the tank into the overflow grate (see my setup above) My other fish uses all the caves in the rock but this one LOVES the back corner and the parallel swimming is freaking me out. Is this cause for concern? Or just a weird fish?

Here he is, doing his little dance in the back corner.
IMG_9947.jpeg

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss :(

In my previous tank, I went through 6 clowns until I had a pair that survived. I purchased them from different stores. Tried feeding different and high-quality foods and additives. Tried medications and different quarantine / no quarantine. Honestly, it was so frustrating.

This time around on my new tank, I got one pair and fingers crossed it has been 2 months and they look super healthy and happy.

I don't remember exactly the reasons why they passed, but there were definitely a couple that surprised me as well. Sometimes it's just like that, unfortunately.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I got a second clownfish over the weekend. It was from the same store from the same clutch so I knew that if there was any lingering bacteria or disease that was not presenting itself, they would both have it from being in the store together. Both fish get along well and swim together often, but also have their own preferred areas to hang out in. The new fish has only been in my tank for three days now, but he behaves a little oddly. His color is great, his appetite is great, and he has no visible signs or symptoms of disease. He is gorgeous and has great fin growth and looks super healthy. The only thing he does that concerns me is when he hangs out in the back corner.

He likes to go to the back corner of the tank under the filter grate and swim parallel to the wall (not touching it) but swim over and over again in the same spot for hours. He's not touching it or itching himself, just swimming parallel. It's bizarre. He's a good swimmer and has no issues with buoyancy, but he seems to get in a trance doing it. Then, he will randomly stop and swim around like normal. I think the flow is strong there and maybe he like swimming against it? I have tried shutting the filter off and he'll either swim away or keep on doing the same thing. I also lowered the flow thinking it was too strong, but he still persists. I don't have a powerhead, just an output of water in my cube that circles around the tank into the overflow grate (see my setup above) My other fish uses all the caves in the rock but this one LOVES the back corner and the parallel swimming is freaking me out. Is this cause for concern? Or just a weird fish?

Here he is, doing his little dance in the back corner.
IMG_9947.jpeg

Sounds like a clown being a clown :)

OP
OP
S

saltwatercube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update:

I say this with a knock on wood, but things are going great. My diatom outbreak is slowly depleting since adding copepods. My new clown is super social and bonded up with my original clown fish. Everyone is getting along super well.

I decided that my clownfish is just being a clown because he swims around normally most of the day and he's a great eater, this is just odd behavior for him. My other fish all love that same spot, so I think it has something to do with the flow and the fact that it is kind of hidden but also open. My rock structure has so many caves in it and it is fun to see them all explore and find spots that they like.

Tuesday, I brought home a firefish from my LFS. I was expecting this fish to hide for most of the day and be super shy, but it is more social then my clownfish. It is always out and swimming around and super healthy. The firefish was housed with damsels at my LFS, so I guess he is used to holding his own. He darts in his cave when he needs too, but I am so surprised by how often he is out and how well he eats. A great addition to the tank. And yes, my lid fits well. My clownfish usually like the big middle cave, but the moment I put the firefish in, he swam right in there even with the clownfish and evicted him. The exact opposite of what you would expect.

My three snails are also in great condition and do SO much work on the rock, you can see the path that they made in the light picture. They even clean each other off, I really recommend turban snails for any tank they're super active and a great CUC.

I've been testing parameters daily and everything looks great and my cycle is holding well.

Now just to get past the ugly stage...

IMG_9963.jpeg

IMG_9967.jpeg

OP
OP
S

saltwatercube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: All is going well! My diatoms are MILES better but still stuck on my sandbed. Gave them a good vacuum and tested RODI water for TDS and keeping lights off.

My clowns, firefish, and snails are all super active and healthy. I tend to feed more frozen (they love brine and mysis shrimp) and use the pellets as treats. Besides mysis and brine, does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can feed? I got the marine variety pack from San Francisco Bay at Petco for a little variety too, but want to make sure I am doing enough.

My parameters are holding stable after a month... now time to monitor for another five before thinking about coral.

I was thinking about adding another fish (either royal gramma basslet or yellow watchmen goby), but I am thinking on waiting another month for things to really stabilize before adding. Does anyone else have any stocking suggestions?

72922027619__6149EA61-9DA6-482D-9565-B6477A43207E.jpeg
72905234574__860D1D43-BA22-4058-9D30-93459A57EB05.jpeg
72886662681__58432731-721E-477B-B1D1-7A044D58418D.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back