The secret to phosphates???‍♀️

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley could answer this better my opinion and mine only is neonitro forsure and probably neophos will throw off other chemistry. Neo nitro raises alk, what neophos raises or lowers as a result of use idk. Ive always struggled to maintian a sub .3 phos level and have any registerable nitrate if i get phos low nitrate is not detectable.

Nitrate dosing (and consumption) does add alkalinity. Calcium nitrate dosing is a balanced alk and calcium dosing method, with a nitrate bonus.

Ammonia can be dosed for N so that it doesn't change alk (ammonium bicarbonate) or depletes it (ammonium chloride).

The effect of phosphate dosing on alk is quite small and complicated, depending on exactly what you dose and where it ends up.

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
Nitrate dosing (and consumption) does add alkalinity. Calcium nitrate dosing is a balanced alk and calcium dosing method, with a nitrate bonus.

Ammonia can be dosed for N so that it doesn't change alk (ammonium bicarbonate) or depletes it (ammonium chloride).

The effect of phosphate dosing on alk is quite small and complicated, depending on exactly what you dose and where it ends up.
Thank you for reply chemistry guru

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back