OP
OP
TCoach

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, Sodium Phosphate came in today. Just tested the water to get a baseline before dosing and numbers looks good.

pH: 8.41
Salinity: 33.6 - A little low, will work on slow correction.
Alk: 9.2
Ca: 502 - Hanna Checker so probably high reading, but not crazy out of line if correct.
Nitrate: 12.7
Phosphate: 0.06

Given that I have good measurements on everything except salinity, I'm feeling I should not dose the phosphates. @Randy Holmes-Farley what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
-Chris

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, Sodium Phosphate came in today. Just tested the water to get a baseline before dosing and numbers looks good.

pH: 8.41
Salinity: 33.6 - A little low, will work on slow correction.
Alk: 9.2
Ca: 502 - Hanna Checker so probably high reading, but not crazy out of line if correct.
Nitrate: 12.7
Phosphate: 0.06

Given that I have good measurements on everything except salinity, I'm feeling I should not dose the phosphates. @Randy Holmes-Farley what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
-Chris
Personally, with the rebound of phosphate that was locked up in the rock, I think you are right.
IMO, I would not dose either.
I would be sure to inspect the tank daily for a week or two and definatly take your tests every couple days to look for anything abnormal.

Good luck.

OP
OP
TCoach

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found the issue. My Kasa powerbar has an issue and was restarting a bunch it appeared. When it did this, it caused the doser to start dosing. I'm guessing it was the last head to be used. Found this out this morning when I was in the office and kept hearing the Kalkwaser head turning on (it squeaks) but it was not dosing time. :(
(doser is Jebao 2.4 wifi)

OP
OP
TCoach

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, tested this morning and Phosphate is at 0.0. Going to mix up a batch of the sodium phosphate and start dosing at 0.1 ppm per day. Planning on splitting into 24 1ml doses so I can slowly add over the course of the day.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, tested this morning and Phosphate is at 0.0. Going to mix up a batch of the sodium phosphate and start dosing at 0.1 ppm per day. Planning on splitting into 24 1ml doses so I can slowly add over the course of the day.
I feel like you're putting too much trust into your doser. Might want to reconsider.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds good. :)

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found out what the root cause was, and it is no longer being used.
Glad you did. But I'd still be a bit concerned that a power outage could cause further issues since the wifi strip turning off and on caused it the first time. I believe a number of other folks have had issues with the Jebao doser. To be clear, I love Jebao return pumps and power heads and run them on multiple systems. I am not a Jebao hater; far from it. I have a Jebao doser on the shelf from many years ago that I've been too chicken to use .

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The po4 inside of the rocks and deeper into the sand can take weeks to unbind with such slow water movement in those areas. I would test po4 for a week or two and then look at the trend - do not pay attention to a single low or high test result. At the end of 2 weeks, you could have plenty of po4 in the water.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TCoach
did your corals lose any color/lighten/bleach at all or they held fine through the issue?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
somehow missed this thread until today. if I could have got in to post #2 I would have said: reduce your overall light power at the current spectrum by -30% right off the top. cloud simulation until you stabilize.

it's the strongest bleach protection trick I know during param insults. you'd be amazed at the % coral loss that is simple, stoppable sunburning

it's a powerful trick because you can run it on a perfectly fine reef tank without harm. no reef on the planet cares if some clouds pass overhead, for a while. used on a reef in distress, you can time it with strong feeding to heal corals quickly from insults in many cases where the bright unadjusted light burns them badly, sometimes unable to recover. if yours made it with no lightening phase then that's great, they have a solid foundation to weather some challenges. nice leadup growth was a strong insulator for them.

OP
OP
TCoach

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TCoach
did your corals lose any color/lighten/bleach at all or they held fine through the issue?
The corals and inverts seemed to be fine and as far as I know, I did not lose any of them. In fact, I added corals the Saturday after the incident and they are fine too.

Only losses have been fish related.
1. Solarensis Wrasse - Found dead next day
2. Sunrise dotty back - Saw in death throws maybe 2 days afterwards and have not seen since
3. Clarkii clown - Died Tuesday I think - can't clearly link this one to the LC overdose. Had been off for more than a week and had moved out of its anemone.
4. Blue Tang - Had been moved to sump due to failed merge with my Yellow Belly Blue Tang. No injuries from the attempted merge, but I think passed from stress/Lymphosistis not LC.

Remaining fish:
1. Scopas Tang - Tends to hand out in return flow, so I think gills may have been impacted. Hoping they heal in time.
2. Yellow Belly Blue Tang - Seems fine
3. Bonded pair of Falco Hawkfish - Seem fine
4. Pair of PJ cardinals - Seem fine - Too dopey to notice anything anyways. :)
5. Coral Beauty - Seems fine
6. Aptasia File Fish - Seems fine

Inverts:
Maxima Clam - Seems fine. Was irritated the first day, but fine now.
Green BTA - Always seemed fine
Misc snails and hermits - no losses seen.
May have lost an urchin, but I think I have an aggressive hermit in the tank since I've seen the spines dropped/cut and also saw my 2 brittle stars get sliced up for dinner. :(
Just added a crew from Reef Cleaners today, so we'll see how they do. All snails with 3 emerald crabs.

Corals:
All seem fine (leathers, acans, frogspawn, torch, Milka Stylo, bubble corals, pipe organs, etc.
Photosynthetic Gargonia.

OP
OP
TCoach

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Falcon’s hanging out. Excuse the cyano, tank is still maturing.
IMG_3757.jpeg

OP
OP
TCoach

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
somehow missed this thread until today. if I could have got in to post #2 I would have said: reduce your overall light power at the current spectrum by -30% right off the top. cloud simulation until you stabilize.

it's the strongest bleach protection trick I know during param insults. you'd be amazed at the % coral loss that is simple, stoppable sunburning

it's a powerful trick because you can run it on a perfectly fine reef tank without harm. no reef on the planet cares if some clouds pass overhead, for a while. used on a reef in distress, you can time it with strong feeding to heal corals quickly from insults in many cases where the bright unadjusted light burns them badly, sometimes unable to recover. if yours made it with no lightening phase then that's great, they have a solid foundation to weather some challenges. nice leadup growth was a strong insulator for them.
Running T5's on this tank instead of LEDs. :).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back