The Serial Hobby Researcher Build

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably talk a little more about how I reached the point I'm at today with future posts. For now, let's just start with the fact that my wife was gifted a 60 gallon SW tank with four fish and a couple nassarius snails. There wasn't (and still isn't) enough live rock, we didn't know anything about what we were doing, and we killed the first few additions to the tank due to incompetence.

I've since taken over the maintenance and have spent ridiculous amounts of time researching because that's what I do when I get a new hobby.

So this is my first build thread and I'm going to start with a picture of the build I had in progress. Bigger and better options have come about and this setup will be getting demolished. Not gonna lie, looking at that 45 gallon while coming down the stairs would have been cool but plans change. So adios to all the work I've done so far.

20210411_000135.jpg

OP
OP
unchaotic

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busy couple days. Ripped out the old fireplace and adjusted the surround for the new gas unit. Today the HVAC guys came in and installed the new furnace and fireplace.

Lots of work still to do but these were big indirect steps on my build.

20210417_125704.jpg
20210417_183947.jpg
20210418_171849.jpg
Snapchat-1605610581.jpg
20210419_180421.jpg

OP
OP
unchaotic

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about maximizing my space under the tank. The bare concrete floor would allow me to mortar down cinder blocks which I could use to build up the end supports and span LVL beams across. Maybe having blocks in the middle to prevent deflection as well. I wouldn't think a 3 foot span would be two much for 2x7-8" LVL but I could be wrong.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could split that 7' right down the middle and have a support there and a support on each end. The 2x6s will carry that.

The way most people build out corners/supports is very overbuilt (on purpose of course). These guys are holding all the weight.

My 40g stand is built out of 2x2s.

OP
OP
unchaotic

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So almost none of this build thread was actually about the 200g tank and now I've sold it because we might move next year. I have a 125g temporary tank to set up (JoJo the Naso tang needs a longer tank) so I may just tack that onto this thread when I get around to it.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back